This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hallberg to withdraw from Dec. 23rd Nutcracker due to injury

Released:

DAVID HALLBERG TO WITHDRAW FROM MATINEE PERFORMANCE OF THE NUTCRACKER ON FRIDAY, DECEMBER 23 AT

BAM HOWARD GILMAN OPERA HOUSE

Due to injury, American Ballet Theatre Principal Dancer will withdraw from his performance as Nutcracker, The Prince at the Friday, December 23 matinee at BAM Howard Gilman Opera House.

Eric Tamm will replace Hallberg in The Nutcracker dancing opposite Gillian Murphy as Clara, The Princess at the December 23 matinee.

Performances of American Ballet Theatre’s The Nutcracker at BAM continue through December 31, 2011. For more information, please visit our website at www.abt.org.

NOOOOOO!!! I had this premonition and thought I should check in to Ballet Alert JUST IN CASE to see if everything was A-OK for Hallberg's matinee tomorrow. I'm so bummed! Of course I hope he recovers fully (maybe that Colbert appearance set him back). I missed his spring Swan Lake due to injury too. Did I say I'm bummed??!!

David really needs to recover 100% before dancing again. The danger of re-injury is too great at 80%. However bummed we all may be, and I am too, the risk is too great to accept anything less than complete recovery. I read somewhere that for professional ballet dancers there is a 100% chance that they will be sidelined by injury at some point in their career. The last thing we want is a chronic injury in one of our most highly prized dancers.

I think this is the same ankle he injured playing Caribosse in an ABT Sleeping Beauty about 6 months ago. Then he injured it in his second go at Prince Desire in the Bolshoi SB, and now a 3rd time in DC. I am not a medical professional, but I sincerely hope he's treating this aggressively and takes as much time as he needs to fully heal.

NOOOOOO!!! I had this premonition and thought I should check in to Ballet Alert JUST IN CASE to see if everything was A-OK for Hallberg's matinee tomorrow. I'm so bummed! Of course I hope he recovers fully (maybe that Colbert appearance set him back). I missed his spring Swan Lake due to injury too. Did I say I'm bummed??!!

I would be bummed as well, however I will say at least Tamm has partnered Gillian in this before, so they are experienced together. And while he is certainly not Hallberg, he did really well on Tuesday. He was a strong partner and did well in the solos as well. He also is pretty gorgeous :) (a friend of my mom's was quite taken with his posterior!!)