'Sleeping Beauty' live in cinemas, Dec 15, 2011Cuthbertson & Polunin

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:15 AM

Hamilton .... I have a ticket for her Nutcracker matinee on the 28th)

I'm afraid that yesterday performance confirmed my opinion (or suspects). People said she was much better than in the first show, but she seemed still not ready for the role. The adagio was acceptable, but the solo and the coda were quite temptative. She seems to not have the stamina needed for this killer pdd and her technique is not refined enough, the result was a quite flaccid performance. In addition her stunning beauty doesn't fit with the role, especially because doesn't have at the moment the sensitivity to act as a fairy: SPF is NOT Mary Vetsera...
Polunin was much better than in Sleeping Beauty, his solo was quite impressive. I think he is in a stage of his career where he needs to be cast with experienced and demanding ballerinas; the partnership with Cuthbertson seems put on to help to create the British star using also her partner, but it could be dangerous for Sergei development as an artist.

In the evening Cojocaru (back on ROH stage after 3 months) and Kobborg (back there after SEVEN months) were absolutely beautiful in the pdd, and capable to deal with the terribly slow tempo given by the conductor (the same of the afternoon...informed people reported he was conducing his first ballets...). Alina managed to fill the slow music in the solo and the result was excellent both technically (she is in great form despite the recent injury) and artistically event though she has made better in the past with a proper conductor to support her.

Tonight I think I think it will be Cuthbertson, interesting to see if SPF fit her better than Aurora.

#32 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:02 AM

About the slow tempo last night - Kobborg implied in a tweet that recorded music would have been preferable!

#33 valentina11

valentina11

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

No Cuthbertson tonight - Pennefather is injured?

#34 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:33 AM

No Cuthbertson tonight - Pennefather is injured?

Yes, he is.

#35 Bella12

Bella12

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

"In the evening Cojocaru (back on ROH stage after 3 months) and Kobborg (back there after SEVEN months) were absolutely beautiful in the pdd, and capable to deal with the terribly slow tempo given by the conductor (the same of the afternoon...informed people reported he was conducing his first ballets...)."

Although I agree with you about the slow tempo, I’m afraid to say that your ‘informed people’ are not very well informed.

Here is an extract from Dominic Grier’s online biography:

He was a permanent staff conductor at the Royal Opera House from 2008-10, where his work included guest and cover conducting with The Royal Ballet and the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, and an affiliation with the Jette Parker Young Artists Programme. He is currently Associate Guest Conductor with Northern Ballet, a guest conductor for The Royal Ballet, Scottish Ballet and Birmingham Royal Ballet

And here is a list of the works he’s already conducted:

Bizet Symphony in C (Balanchine) - Royal Ballet 2010
Feeney Hamlet (Nixon) - Northern Ballet 2011
Schoenberg Cleopatra (Nixon) - Northern Ballet 2011
Shostakovich Concerto (2nd Piano Concerto) - Royal Ballet 2010
Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker - Royal Ballet and Northern Ballet 2011
The Sleeping Beauty - Scottish Ballet 2011

(NB Apologies if this post appears twice. My first attempt seemed to disappear).

#36 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

Although I agree with you about the slow tempo, I’m afraid to say that your ‘informed people’ are not very well informed.

Here is an extract from Dominic Grier’s online biography:

Thank you for the information Posted Image

Maybe the few ballets in his biography are already too many, if he is so able to disappoint both dancers and audience ....Posted Image

#37 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

*whispers* For those interested, the entire telecast has made its way onto youtube.

Another 'Cuthbertson Alert': I see that LC be starring again in the next ROH Ballet-in-Cinema - Romeo & Juliet, on March 22, 2012. This must be the 'All-Cuthbertson, All-the-Time' season.

Sort of like when the RB released DVDs of Manon, La Bayadere, and Romeo and Juliet all starring Acosta and Rojo a couple years ago.

#38 BalletinCinema_intern

BalletinCinema_intern

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hello,

For those interested to see Cuthbertson’s performance as Princess Aurora, The Sleeping Beauty by the Royal Ballet in Cinema will be performing this Summer!

Posted Image

Here’s the list of the main casts:

Gary Avis as King Florestan XXIV
Genesia Rosato as Queen
Lauren Cuthbertson as Princess Aurora
Sergei Polunin as Prince Florimund

[size=5]Need some information about the showtimes? [/size]Here’s one easy step!
You can click on this link and enter the zip code to check out the schedules at your local theatres.
http://www.emergingp...s.com/theaters/

Laura Cuthberson will also be playing Juliet in the famous Prokofiev’s Romeo & Juliet. Here is the link for more details about the show:
http://www.balletinc...t-royal-ballet/

[size=5]And for all ballet lovers..[/size]

There are a number of great ballet performances coming up such as The Bright Stream, La Fille Mal Gardee, Le Corsaire, and La Bayadere.
Visit our website www.emergingpictures.com or www.balletincinema.com for some updates if you don’t want to miss out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):