This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I only caught the final 40 minutes tonight, the program was Berlin State Opera Ballet's version. The hosts announced it beautiful dancing, sets and choreo, but the storyline was too difficult to understand. My mom saw the entire thing and agreed.

The Nut will show nightly (various versions) from now until Dec.24 (viewers can vote to choose their favorite to show on Christmas Eve night). Also a Nut marathon all day Saturday 17.Dec.

http://ovationtv.com/schedules?date=2011-12-12&genre=genres

Maryiinsky Theatre (Mikhail Chemiakinâs version)

Saturday 17.Dec 5:45pm

Thursday 22.Dec 11:00am, 1:15pm, 3:30pm, 5:45pm

Royal Ballet (2009 version, Miyako Yoshida as Sugar Plum)

Saturday 17.Dec 3:00pm

Wednesday 21.Dec 9:00am, 11:45am, 2:30pm, 5:15pm

Berlin State Ballet (Patrice Bart version, here is the the official synopsis for a strange take on the ballet: young Marie is abducted by Russian Revolutionaries and forced to live with the cruel Drosselmeyer. Once her beloved Nutcracker comes to life, the hope that she may be reunited with her mother is rekindled.)

Sunday 18.Dec. 12:30pm

Monday 19.Dec. 9:00am, 11:45am, 2:30pm, 5:15pm

Sunday 25.Dec 12:30pm

Bolshoi Theatre (Starring Natalya Arkhipova and Irek Mukhamedov. Choreographed by Yuri Grigorovich, of course!)

Thursday 15.Dec. 8:00pm & 10:30pm

Friday 16.Dec. 1:00am

Saturday 17.Dec. 12:30pm

Sunday 18.Dec. 5:30pm

Friday 23.Dec. 10:00am, 12:30pm, 3:00pm, 5:30pm

Sunday 25 Dec. 3:15pm

Monday 26 Dec. 1:00am

Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker! (From a hilariously bleak Christmas Eve at Dr. Drossâ Orphanage, to the spectacular candy folk of Sweetieland, Claraâs journey passes through Oliver Twist, the Icecapades and the kaleidoscopic fantasy of Busby Berkeley musicals.)

Friday 16.Dec. 8:00pm, 10:15pm

Sunday 18.Dec. 3:15pm

Tuesday 20.Dec. 11:00am, 1:15pm, 3:30pm, 5:45pm

Well I missed this year's edition entirely. The competing versions were Balanchine's as performed by the New York City Ballet in the 1993 film, Nureyev's performed by the Vienna State Ballet, Youri Vamos' The Nutcracker: A Christmas Carol performed by the Bonn Ballet, and the production by Toer van Schayk and Wayne Eagling for the Dutch National Ballet, which received the largest number of votes. In case you missed it, too, Ovation posted all four versions of the Sugarplum Fairy variation on You Tube.

Darci Kistler

Liudmila Konovalova

Joyce Cuoco

Anna Tsygankova

Too late to vote but I watched the DNB and Bonn (Vamos) versions on my Xfinity On-demand cable service today.

DNB (Von Schayk & Eagling version) was great due to the pristine dancing of the two stars, Tsygankova (the best I've seen her...sharp!) and Golding (except for that one facial expression). I only hated the drab and flat A2 scenery, brightened up at the end with a few garlands.

Bonn's is an older (ca 1986) version...but the extraordinary dancing of Joyce Cuoco-Queen of Pirouettes- makes it my winner. The blending of the Dickens Xmas Carol and Nutcracker tales was a bit of a stretch but, in the end, it works. I also loved seeing a "March of the Soldiers" that is actually performed by soldiers...but didn't care so much for the A2 "Flutes" danced by Scrooge and eight kids in nightgowns.