This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Important detail re: tonight's NYCB "The Nutcracker" broad

If you plan to record NYCB's broadcast of "The Nutcracker" tonight, it can be confusing. I'm in New Jersey and on my DVR the title at 7 PM is PBS NewsHour and at 8 PM the title is Live From Lincoln Center. The ballet starts at 7 PM and will last over 90 minutes so make sure you record both programs.

Thanks. As mentioned on another thread, the ballet is set to begin at
9pm on Maryland Public Television (MPT - channel 22 on 'regular' & some cable systems), for folks living in the Washington, DC area.
It's due to last 1 hr and 58 minutes, according to the MPT website. Obviously not 'live'...making some wonder if it's just the tape of last night's Cinemas showing (despite the fact that the same cast dances live on the stage tonight in NYC).

From the MPT Schedule for Dec 14 (
):

09:00 PM

George Balanchine's The Nutcracker

Episode # 3605

Live from Lincoln Center returns to the New York City Ballet for "George Balanchine's The Nutcracker." This is the production that is the heart of New York City's year-end holiday season. From the moment the lights dim, you will be transported to a magical place filled with adorable children, marching toy soldiers, a glowing one-ton Christmas tree that seemingly grows forever, mischievous mice, crystalline waltzing snowflakes, the Land of Sweets and some of the most glorious dancing on earth.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Length : 01 hr, 58 min

MPT

(Repeated at 1:00 AM, December 15)

Bottom Line:
check your local schedules!

If you plan to record NYCB's broadcast of "The Nutcracker" tonight, it can be confusing. I'm in New Jersey and on my DVR the title at 7 PM is PBS NewsHour and at 8 PM the title is Live From Lincoln Center. The ballet starts at 7 PM and will last over 90 minutes so make sure you record both programs.

MakarovaFan, according tot he NYCB's website, tonight's performance in the theater begins at 8pm, not 7pm. (That said, the showing in the DC area still begins at 9pm.)

If your public television station is not listing this at the official time, check several days into the future.

We have two PBS stations here, both of which are selective as to which of this type of show they broadcast. One of them prefers a rerun of yet another Victor Borge performance tonight.

However, they ARE showing it Thursday morning at ... get this !!! ... 3 a.m. huh.png There has been no advance publicity, as far as I can tell. Perhaps they are aware of a large culture-loving market of insomniacs in south Florida?

Anyway, if you can't find it in the early evering, you might want to check your listings for over-night.

Here in Chicago, it went at 8 this evening and it's also scheduled again at 3 in the morning tomorrow. For insomniacs, or those who mess up their recorder settings the first time?

In a couple of days, Neumeier's The Little Mermaid, by SFB, is scheduled for 8 in the evening and then again at 3 AM a few days later. I've never understood broadcast scheduling - there's nothing for a special-interest group like us for months and then it starts to pour, sometimes to the point where it's hard to keep up with. (Especially if your hard-disc drives are nearly full.)

FYI, it did not play at all in Seattle on KCTS9 or the alternate KBTC12 in Tacoma. Fortunately for my mom (who searched in vain), The Ovation Cable Channel is showing their Nutcracker / night, and you can vote for the final one for Christmas Eve. I will post more in the appropriate section. If anyone can find out when Seattle will show this performance, please post!