This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

2011-2012 Trouble

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

"Dennis was absolutely in shock. It was absolutely painful to watch," says Loewenstern. "He had just been shoved out of his life's work - out of everything he built and ever cared about."

This is a company he used 40 years of his life to build and they're pushing him out this way? Is he guilty of some heinous crime?

I think we should give some sort award for hitting all the bases.

Makes me rather worried about how ABT is actually run that they aren't staying as far away from this as possible?

Every time someone pokes this story another ugly detail crawls out.

#17 Olatunji

Olatunji

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:33 AM

Even so the Boardroom is already full, sorry.

#18 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

Flattering, I'm sure, but living on the wrong coast, the idea doesn't rise.

#19 ora

ora

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

Perhaps this is but an element of a kind of evolution of american ballet. One might not be surprised that one day there will be a homeless ballet, sans specific choreographic intent. Without apparent purpose, just rounded up folks compelled to be kept wandering about the stage whilst the doorman's radio plays some blurred folk tunes from mount idee(sic), with variations consisting of individuals staggering downstage to inquire if they might please go, now. Who knows what the bosses will want?

#20 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Curioser and curioser. (The link Brioche posted (#15) doesn't work any more, but Hunt's article and the score or so comments on it are worth reading. Try this: http://www.sfgate.co...OJT7.DTL&ao=all )

What's really puzzling about this no-AD "flat" corporate model the business people seem to be bent on converting the company to is, who's actually going to choose the choreographers and "stagers" who prepare the ballets?

More seriously, can the same 33 dancers, say, serve the audience by mastering the range of styles to do justice to the range of repertory being tossed about? MCB or the Joffrey Ballet may give us a good time with Taylor's Funny Papers or Ashton's Cinderella, but the flavors are inauthentic compared to what we get from the dancers trained in those traditions.

One model for a ballet company is a restaurant run by a versatile, master chef, who offers a varied menu - the analogy offered in so many words by George Balanchine, long ago and far away. I doubt that Nahat is another Balanchine exactly, but I wonder whether San Jose is abandoning the restaurant in favor of a food court.

#21 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

Can anyone give me an example of another ballet company that succeeded with this model? Any other arts organization? If there is no A.D., who picks the choreographers? The board of directors? I just don't see this working. Even "flat" organization charts at technology companies still have a chief executive officer to run the organization.

#22 Olatunji

Olatunji

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:06 AM

Excellent question, in re the flat artistic direction model. Reminds elders of the Denham/Novak mess for Ballets Russe. Wherein the mildew and rodents appeared to be, albeit in cahoots with Miss Nina, the only contented. Locally the other AD out model was the Oakland company, of some few years past, or so I am told. At that locus there is now a new feller doing the job, however. Can it be true that the Fry was essentially the only support of the Company?

#23 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

Did I miss before that they "released" their school principle from her responsibilities? I just recieved a press release announcing that Dalia Rawson was replacing the "released" Lise La Cour.

I wonder what the circumstancss around the relase were.

#24 lmspear

lmspear

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Excellent question, in re the flat artistic direction model. Reminds elders of the Denham/Novak mess for Ballets Russe. Wherein the mildew and rodents appeared to be, albeit in cahoots with Miss Nina, the only contented. Locally the other AD out model was the Oakland company, of some few years past, or so I am told. At that locus there is now a new feller doing the job, however. Can it be true that the Fry was essentially the only support of the Company?

And don't forget the Joffrey company's experience with Rebekah Harkness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):