This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mark Goldweber

I am sure there will be obituaries tomorrow. Mark Goldweber, aside from being a wonderful dancer and fine balletmaster, first with the Joffrey, where he spent his dancing career, and for the past few years at Ballet West, was very important to this forum. He posted as Glebb, and always had interesting comments. He hadn't posted much lattely because of his illness.

I will remember the joy of his dancing as a young man, especially the zest with which he tore into "Les Patineurs".

Rest in peace, Mark.

Another major, and way too early, loss to the ballet world, to young dancers, and to those of us who knew and loved him. And everyone who knew him loved him. Mark was one of the good ones, in every way. I first met him when he was 12 years old, in Miami, and he was just one of those special kids, who grew up to be a special dancer, teacher, and an exceptional ballet master. He will be be greatly missed by many, many people.

Mark -- Glebb -- was such a generous and insightful internet friend. Thank you Mme. Hermine, for the video clip. That huge, joyous smile at the very end of the clip says a great deal about the artist and the man. The clip reminds me, too, of how important was the Joffrey's role in American ballet history, and how seriously Mark took the responsibilitiy of keeping memory of these works, the restorations especially, alive.

His death comes too soon. Sandik says it beautifully:

Damn, damn, damn

This is terrible.

It's just terrible. He was so kind, so caring, so deeply learned, a scholar of ballet, and like the Clerk of Oxenforde, 'gladly would he learn, and gladly teach.'

I'm burning a candle to St Gleb, Mark's patron saint, who I'm sure has been waiting to welcome his old friend into heaven and is probably making him very comfortable already. And if there's been a glitch, I'm sure Gleb is on the case ready to catch him should he fall.

Edited by Paul Parish

The ballet world is truly in mourning over this news. Mark and I became friends first on this site and also on facebook. We shared a mutual love of ballet, teaching, and our dogs. I did have the pleasure of meeting him twice in person but really became friends because of Ballet Alert. My heart goes out to his family, his dogs Tanny and Ben, his worldwide ballet family, and everyone at Ballet West. He was a real gem in our world and taken away far too soon! RIP dear Mark, you will never be forgotten.

Thank you for that clip, Mme. Hermine. My memory of this ballet had mostly faded away, but not my memory of Goldweber in it. As to the comments here, it's always so delightful, but so extra sad, to read that the deceased was such a fine person.

BALLET WEST MOURNS DEATH OF

BALLET MASTER MARK GOLDWEBER

Esteemed former Joffrey Ballet dancer and revered teacher and coach

enjoyed celebrated career

SALT LAKE CITY – December 12, 2011– Mark Goldweber, Ballet Master for Ballet West and Director of Ballet West II, has died Friday evening, December 9, after a courageous battle with cancer. He was 53.

“Mark Goldweber was my right hand and one of my dearest friends,” said Adam Sklute, Artistic Director of Ballet West. “He was a genius in the dance studios and had infinite knowledge about his art form. Mark’s passion and enthusiasm for ballet, music, and culture was infectious and inspiring for everyone around him.”

Born in Coconut Grove, Florida, Goldweber received his early ballet training under renowned Ballets Russes de Monte Carlo dancer, Thomas Armour. Goldweber went on to train at The Washington School of Ballet under Mary Day as well as The School of American Ballet in New York. He joined The Joffrey Ballet in 1975 as a member of The Joffrey II Dancers and was promoted to the main Joffrey Ballet in 1977 where he made headlines right away, being cast at the age of 19 in the leading role of the "Boy in Blue" in the Joffrey’s recreation of Sir Frederick Ashton’s Les Patineurs. He later reprised the role for public television’s Dance In America series.

In 1988 Goldweber retired from The Joffrey to become founding Ballet Master for Oregon Ballet Theatre with James Canfield as Artistic Director. In 1996 he returned to The Joffrey as Ballet Master and director of the “Arpino Apprentices.” He served there until 2007 when he moved to Salt Lake City to become Ballet Master for Ballet West and the Director of Ballet West II.

Throughout his performing career, Goldweber danced and created leading roles in countless ballets by some of the world’s greatest choreographers. He performed to acclaim internationally and appeared in numerous public television dance specials. In 2003 he played himself in Robert Altman’s "The Company."

As a ballet master and teacher, Goldweber was highly respected worldwide for his meticulous attention to details, near photographic memory of steps and styles, and his exacting eye.

“Mark had the highest standards for excellence,” said Sklute, “He believed in the best a dancer could be and he would work tirelessly to help that dancer live up to his or her potential. Mark gave so much of himself, and all of us at Ballet West will miss him. He was a shining light in the world of dance.”

Goldweber is survived by his father Morton, his brother Adam, and his sister Ruth. A memorial service in Salt Lake City will take place at a later date to be announced.

In lieu of flowers, gifts may be directed to Ballet West II in memory of Mark Goldweber at www.balletwest.org or by calling (801) 869-6919.

# # #

Mark was a rare kind of balletomane... Knowing dance from the stage, the house, the studio, the published word and the cyberverse (well, after all, he was there even in the early nomenclature days of the internet)... Always trying to pass on the vibrancy of dance to others. He will be much missed by everyone. I first encountered on the NY Times dance chat (there was such a thing in the 90s) when I was complaining about a sudden turnover at Grand Rapids Ballet. Overnight he got the talent offered a new job at The Joffrey. He was an insider as much as a supporter. I was happy to find his name on several old programs passed to me recently and shipped them on to him. His list of Facebok friends read like a Who's Who of the dance world for good reason.