18 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

Ashley Bouder describes her Sunday routine to The New York Times.

WALK, THEN TWEET I grab a cup to go and take the dogs around the block, come home, and drink a few more cups while I watch NY1 and catch up on e-mail and Facebook and Twitter. My family and friends are on Facebook; it’s a nice, no-pressure way to connect. Three years ago my friend Daniil Simkin, a soloist with the American Ballet Theater, told me I had to do this thing called Twitter because it’s like “one big status update.” Twitter has become a little overwhelming. I follow 164 people and they tweet all the time!

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

A story on friction between management and the artistic side at Ballet San Jose by Janice Berman for San Francisco Classical Voice.

But Ballet San Jose, like many arts organizations, is no stranger to financial shortfalls. It abruptly canceled its fall 2011 production. It is presenting a Nutcracker season of 10 shows, down from 14 last year. However, ticket sales, Nahat said in an interview on Monday, have been a brisk $25,000 a day.

The board of directors [recently said] that it has ultimate authority in all artistic matters. Nahat, the company’s artistic director, said that in October he was formally notified by the board of directors that it has ultimate authority in all artistic matters, including choosing dancers and designating their rankings, casting roles, and planning future productions. At present Nahat’s sole duty is rehearsing The Nutcracker, he said, and no other productions (to his knowledge) are currently in the works or in rehearsal. The dancers have not been told of the company’s plans either, and questions to the management from their union representative have not been answered.

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

A review of Ballet Quad-Cities' Nutcracker by David Burke for The Quad-City Times.

Several writers here have taken on the task during that time, but they had what I lack: a background in or knowledge of dance. I’ve done enough theater to try to sound like I know what I’m talking about and have seen enough concerts to have a pretty firm base of expertise.

But ballet? Not enough of an expert to try. Cook said not to just judge the show by its footwork, but the entire performance package. So, on Friday morning, during a matinee for Quad-City schoolchildren, I gave it a shot.

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,061 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Mountain West Ballet presents its Nutcracker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):