This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ekaterina Shipulina to Principal

ksk04

The Bolshoi seems to be in its 'Y'all come! Phase." Sorry to lend the discordant note here but this one only serves to water-down the worthiness of the two earlier promotions (Kaptsova & Krysanova). But the holidays are the period of generosity so I add my 'Hoorah' to the promotion of this reliable soloist-come-Principal.

The Bolshoi seems to be in its 'Y'all come! Phase." Sorry to lend the discordant note here but this one only serves to water-down the worthiness of the two earlier promotions (Kaptsova & Krysanova). But the holidays are the period of generosity so I add my 'Hoorah' to the promotion of this reliable soloist-come-Principal.

Couldn't agree with you more! Krysanova is a real talent. I haven't seen enough of Kaptsova to comment but Shipulina? She's a dependable soloist but a Bolshoi principal? Well, I'll sure be checking the casting before I buy any Bolshoi tickets!

All three of the newly promoted have been dancing principal roles for some time now, so it is only fair that they should be promoted to principal rank, and, presumably, principal pay.

Shipulina isn't my favourite either, but she's hard working and versatile and also has looks and charm. Don't imagine she's in the Somova category though as she's streets ahead in every respect. She does over extend though.

No, Schipulina is not at all in the Somova Dungeon category. (Who on earth is?) She's just...not Krysanova or Kaptsova level, IMO, both of whom have the "WOW" and "Gorgeous" factors, IMO. But, yes, Schipulina is a normal 'dependable' dancer, so kudos to her to have nabbed Principal salary at this time. Like anyone else, when faced with casting options, I'll opt for my favorites. Hopefully, the Kennedy Center's June 2012 run of Coppelia will not be another 'Schipulina Festival' like it seemed to be a couple of years ago with Corsaire (when it was nearly impossible to avoid her in any show, either as Medora or Gulnare).

..Hopefully, the Kennedy Center's June 2012 run of Coppelia will not be another 'Schipulina Festival' like it seemed to be a couple of years ago with Corsaire (when it was nearly impossible to avoid her in any show, either as Medora or Gulnare).

I will dare to remind thta Shipulina's casting partially was due to Osipova's cancellation (Osipova's fever or exhostion from running both ABT and Bolshoi's performances at the same time). I wrote that when it was happenning, i respected Shipulina for stepping in.

There were a number of reasons, YID. There was also the absence of the previously-announced Zakharova. At that time, several of us wrote about the choice of Schipulina above other Bolshoi soloists who did not join the tour. Lunkina and others who had danced Medora in the past were not brought to DC. There was a reason for our questioning...even before the Osipova illness occurred at the last minute.

..Hopefully, the Kennedy Center's June 2012 run of Coppelia will not be another 'Schipulina Festival' like it seemed to be a couple of years ago with Corsaire (when it was nearly impossible to avoid her in any show, either as Medora or Gulnare).

I will dare to remind thta Shipulina's casting partially was due to Osipova's cancellation (Osipova's fever or exhostion from running both ABT and Bolshoi's performances at the same time). I wrote that when it was happenning, i respected Shipulina for stepping in.

The rank of Principal does mean a certain level of technique and artistry, but beyond that, it is also given for importance to a company, and she proved her worth to the Bolshoi during that tour.