• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

Thank you so much for these reviews! (I was unable to watch it)

How generous of you all to put your thoughts to words and then post them here for us. :D

I do hope that there will be at least excerpts of this up on one of the public video portals sometime. :)

-d-

#17 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:12 AM

I only cut in and out so I don't have a clear memory and did not have a clear observation -- but did the fairies do pirouettes in both directions? Isn't that unusual? And aren't the fairies usually partnerless? I thought that was interesting.

I would love to know who the brown clad dancer was supposed to be in Act III. And was there a Cinderella tale?

Someone should unite the two threads on this topic.

#18 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

I would love to know who the brown clad dancer was supposed to be in Act III. And was there a Cinderella tale?

Someone should unite the two threads on this topic.

By sheer luck, I viewed all of the SB acts because i was curious to see Nacho Duato as 'classical' choreographer.
I think all the observations of the viewers are accurate. Generally I concur with Natalia's comment that chopping Tchaikovsky's score is the cardinal sin of the production.

i liked the costumes and the sets (whose name escapes me). The reporter who cited 'eye candy' was right on the mark.
The Mikhailovsky dancers are first rate. Some I'd like to cite are the three gorgeous fairies in the third act as well as the 'brown clad' male dancer, spectacular and nameless.
Others of note are Florine and the Bluebird, brilliant in blue, brilliant in sensuous partnering.

Nacho Duato sincerely put a lot of work in. The vision scene probably needs some work (At least the panorama gets in). The variations seem musically adept.
But no mazurka?

BTW did the composer name the Rose Adagio?

On the principals: Sarafanov brought nothing for me to the vision scene. Zakharova, beautiful and glamorous, sought luster to her international career,and Borchenko, made me to wish her in Petipa choreography.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

The Russian-language BalletFriends forum gave the detailed casting for non-principal roles:

Prologue Fairies:
Candide-Dmitrienko
Coulente-Yapparova
Miettes (Dewdrop) -Miltseva
Canari -Zapasnikova
Violente - Bondareva
Lilac - Borchenko

Fairy Pages:
Victor Lebedev (THE great male star of the Vaganova Class of 2010...I hope that it was worth it)
Korypaev
Yakhnyuk (also the Act III guy in brown...)
Zaitsev
Sivakov
Morozov

Modern Trio in Forest (Farandole music) - Miltseva, Arzyaev & Lapshanov

Jewel Fairies - Dmitirenko, Zapasnikova, Bondareva & (man in brown) Andrei Yakhnyuk*

Cats - Nikolaeva & Kuligin
Bluebird pdd (sans solos) - Yapparova & Korypaev
Red Hood & Wolf - Khomenko & Sergei Strelkov (the Vaganova Academy's top male in the latest class...although not as spectacular as Lebedev from the Class of '10, who was one of the 6 fairy pages here)

* Andrei Yakhnyuk began his career in 1999 as Principal with Tachkine's St. Petersburg Ballet Theater (famous as the troupe with Irina Kolesnikova), then transferred to the Mikhailovsky in 2007 as a First Soloist. He graduated from the Moscow Ballet Academy (the Bolshoi's school) in '99 but his entire career has been in StP.

#20 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:26 PM

I say that Nacho Duato shouldn't have ever touched it - at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):