33 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

Now that Osipova & Vasiliev have left the Bolshoi, I wonder who will headline the Coppelias in DC? Obviously, the KennCen has not had a chance to change the publicity photo with Osipova.

While I saw Osipova w/ Lopatin in a Sunday matinee during the March 2009 opening run of this ballet in Moscow, I recall that it was actually Maria Alexandrova who had premiered this production (Vikharev revival). I'm guessing that we'll be seeing Alexandrova on opening night in DC.

EDITED TO ADD:

Ladies on the current Bolshoi roster who have danced Swanilda in this production:
Alexandrova
Stashkevich
Kaptsova
Goriacheva
[size=2][Osipova is still shown on the Bolshoi roster but we know she's left for the Mikhailovsky][/size]

Men on current Bolshoi roster who have danced Franz:
Skvortsov
Lopatin
Ovcharenko
[size=2][Vasiliev did not dance this role, as per Bolshoi roster. Osipova usually danced it with Lopatin or Skvortsov][/size]

This gives us a clue as to who we might see in these roles in DC. Quite a wonderful group of dancers, even though some are still in the First Soloist or Soloist ranks.

http://www.kennedy-c...ts/?event=BMBSG

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Just announced; I've cross-posted on the L.A. tour site, as someone asked about casts for the DC and Canada (Toronto and/or Ottawa?) legs of the tour. I believe that Washington, DC will be the only city on the tour seing the Vikharev-after-Petipa Coppelia. Other cities get Don Q and Swan Lake. Excellent opening cast with Kaptsova/Ovcharenko, as they have the most perfect 'emploi' for their roles. Not-to-be-missed. Stashkevich/Lopatin also delightful; she was a big surprise as Swanilda in the UK tour a couple of yrs ago. Aleksandrova may be a bigger name but she is more 'grand dame' than soubrette, IMO.

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)

Tue., May 29 & Fri., Jun. 1 at 7:30 p.m. and Sun., Jun. 3 at 1:30 p.m.
Swanilda: Nina Kaptsova
Franz: Artem Ovcharenko
Dr. Coppelius: Alexey Loparevich
Czardas: Kristina Karaseva, Vitaly Biktimirov (5/29, 6/3), Pavel Dmitrichencko (6/1), Anna Antropova

Wed., May 30 & Sat., Jun. 2 at 7:30 p.m.
Swanilda: Maria Aleksandrova
Franz: Ruslan Skvortov
Czardas: Kristina Karaseva, Pavel Dmitrichenko, Anna Antropova

Thu., May 31 at 7:30 p.m. and Sat., Jun. 2 at 1:30 p.m.
Swanilda: Anastasia Stashkevich
Franz: Vyacheslav Lopatin
Czardas: Kristina Karaseva, Vitaly Biktimirov, Anna Antropov

#3 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Aleksandrova's photo is on a poster in the Opera House lobby.

#4 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Recently, and coincidentally, we've been talking about Coppelia on several other forums. This includes Miami's version which I'll be viewing next weekend. Natalia, kfw, and others -- I hope you all will write in lots of detail about the Bolshoi's performances and anything you can tell us about the "Vikharev-after-Petipa" version.

#5 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:00 AM

I hope the casting HOLDS ;-)) then i will be SO pleased. Have tickets for both Saturday performances and Sunday. See (some of you) there

#6 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

...Natalia, kfw, and others -- I hope you all will write in lots of detail about the Bolshoi's performances and anything you can tell us about the "Vikharev-after-Petipa" version.

Bart, I saw this production in Moscow during the March 2009 premiere -- the 3rd cast w/ Osipova/Lopatin. It is every bit as knock-the-socks-off spectacular as other Vikharev/Petipa recons, such as the Mariinsky Sleeping Beauty-1890 and the recent Raymonda at La Scala. Once one sees such Vikharev recons, the 20th & 21dst-C 'lite' versions just won't do, IMO. The Bolshoi recon's sets and costumes are 100% in the 1890s style. It's the full 3 acts (unlike POB). My favorite segment is the Waltz of the Hours that opens the Act III diverts, for 24 female corps members (representing the 24 hours of the day), divided into 4 clusters (Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night), each cluster with a different color of tutu. Petipa at his most sublime!

#7 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Anyone else going tonight? Excited to see Kaptsova and Ovcharenko, and the Vikharev/Petipa choreography.[/font][/size]

#8 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Tuesday, May 29, 7:30 PM

Just back home. Will write more anon but, in a nutshell....this is a GORGEOUS production, as can be expected with any Vikharev reconstruction. An explosion of color and realism, with no expense spared.

As for the production - We were transported to another era of gentility. The mimed passages, in particular, were so delightful and revelatory...just as the restored mime at the La Scala Raymonda made the story make perfect sense.

While I totally loved Nina Kaptsova's cute-n-frisky Swanilda and handsome Artyom Ovcharenko's Franz, it was Anna Tikhomirova, as 'Folie,' who totally stole the last act with a small but difficult solo and (especially) the coda of huge grands jetes. The 'air time' and timing of the apex of each jump precisely to the beats in the music was outstanding. THE highlight for me in an evening replete with blessings. Oh, I also loved Anna Nikulina's Veronika Part-like looks and statuesque and 'careful' style as Prayer, as well as the lovely newcomer, Anzhelina Vorontsova, as the leader of the "Work" pas de cinq in which she delivered beautifully-centered double pirouettes -- a dead-ringer for Obraztsova with a doll-like face!

PETIPA AND CECCHETTI LIVE!!!! Thanks yet again, Sergei Vikharev, for your magical resurrections.

#9 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

ITA with Natalia (for the most part!), and oh yes, Tikhomirova absolutely stole the show! A wonderful softness to her jumping (isn't the music for the Folie variation actually from Sylvia?) and gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous sauts de chat in the coda. She got just as much applause during the bows as Kaptsova and Ovcharenko. Nikulina and Vorontsova were also lovely, but I was not as impressed by Anastasia Stashkevich (as Dawn).

I actually didn't like Kaptsova very much. I was hoping to like her - there some wonderful clips of her Aurora on YT - but she just didn't have enough charm or personality. She wasn't bad, just not as good as I was expecting. She does have a very nice quality of movement though. I thought she was best in the 2nd Act. She looked like she was actually enjoying herself. I know Alexandrova isn't a soubrette, but she has tons of personality so I hope that comes through this weekend. (And her final jump in the coda should be spectacular!)

You can tell Ovcharenko is young -- some of the (very difficult) partnering in the 3rd act wasn't as secure as it could have been, and he still has that young, coltish quality. He also has about 3 expressions, but he's so cute and seems so genuine that one doesn't mind!

The costumes are very nice -- beautiful bold, bright colors -- and the doll's dress in Act 2 is absolutely lovely. Although I'm not sure how the jester-like Folie costume with the polka dots and poms poms fits into the overall scheme! I

I was also interested to see how close (very close!) the first 2 acts are to Balanchine's version. Balanchine's 2nd act is a little funnier, IMO. The mazurka and czardas and Swanilda/Coppélia's Spanish and Scottish variations are quite different, but overall they are indeed very, very close.

#10 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Just some quick thoughts from me, as well. It's a lovely production, but my impressions were colored by having recently seen the HD broadcast with Osipova and Lopatin. Kaptsova was an adorable Swanilda, with some lovely dancing. Not as thrilling as Osipova (who is?) but she underwhelmed, generally, and was missing a certain impish energy and sense of mischief. Her best moments, for me, were the Spanish dance in Act 2 and a beguiling straw (corn? wheat?) dance with Franz in Act 1. As a result, the evening wasn't quite shot through with the free-wheeling energy I think this ballet needs.

Absolutely agree that Anna Tikhomirova stole Act 3, maybe even the show.

I also didn't love Stashkevich as Dawn -- makes me a little apprehensive for her Swanilda later this week.

#11 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

^ Wheat. If you can hear the ear shaking then it's true love. Swanilda doesn't hear it rattling, and neither does Franz, but he lies and says he does. She knows he's lying and runs off.

#12 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:16 AM

.....I also didn't love Stashkevich as Dawn -- makes me a little apprehensive for her Swanilda later this week.

ITA with you and cinnamonswirl on Stashkevich. You'll notice that she's the only one of the four A3 divert soloists who I did not mention above. Posted Image I saw her dance this role in Moscow during the initial weekend in March '09 when this production premiered. She was more secure in technique and less brittle (softer) than she is now. In fact, I'm almost tempted to write that some unannounced dancer filled-in for Stashkevich last night -- as often happens when the Bolshoi or Mariinsky are in town -- but I am not as familiar with the faces of Bolshoi dancers as I am with the Mariinsky's, so I'm assuming that we indeed saw Stashkevich. [size=2]Okuneva is listed to dance this role at all other performances except the final one, which goes to Stashkevich. [/size]

ITA on Kaptsova's under-whelming dancing but her overall looks and 'adorability factor' -- the pure soubrette quality -- is what my soul prefers in a Swanhilda. No, she does not have the firepower of Osipova, e.g., in her coda solo, the diagonal of 'traveling fouettes' ends in a single fouette, when Osipova gave us a quadruple or quintuple. Ovcharenko had a couple of small off-balance slip-ups (untidy finishes to double tours en l'air in his solo and the last pirouette in his coda moment) in A3, which somewhat deflated my earlier memories of him in his student days and first year out of school. STILL, he is basically wonderful and with loads of charm, nice high jump, good lines, beautiful pointed feet during jetes, etc.

I should have mentioned the evening's Dr. Coppelius, Aleksei Loparevich, who was totally convincing in his mime. For example, at the beginning of A3, during the little scene in which newly married couples receive bags of money from the burgomeister, Loparevich's mimed argument that he, too, deserves a bag of money because of his heartbreak due to Swanhilda's trick, is touching. Once he receives his bag of money, he runs off, coming face-to-face with 'Old Father Time' atop a gigantic clock in the middle of the stage...and expresses his horror at the passage of time. All of this happens in a few seconds but is clear and effective.

Yes, cinnamonswirl, the 'jesterette' Folie's solo -- performed in the midst of Swanhilda/Frantz pas de deux, just after the adagio -- is danced to music from Sylvia that is often assigned to Frantz for his solo (Balanchine, for example).

The similarities to the Balanchine/Danilova version are primarily in Acts I and II. Nonetheless, Balanchine's Act III retains a dramatic moment in the finale where Swanilda runs and jumps into Frantz's arms, at the exact same corner of the stage, and the same musical spot...but the Petipa Swanilda jumps backwards, with the back of her head almost hitting the stage as she faces up! (Petipa's Don Q tavern scene also includes this 'inverted fish dive' for Kitri and Basil.)

A little factoid on the Obraztsova-like Anzhelina Vorontsova, who I adored as the "Work" soloist in the diverts. She is coached by the wonderful and 'infamous' Nikolai Tsiskaridze...so I was happily surprised that the 'politics' did not exclude her from this tour. Most of her training was at the Voronezh Ballet Academy but she completed her studies in 2009 after one year at the Moscow Academy, trained by Arkhipova. [Ovcharenko had also been coached by Tsiskaridze for a year or two after his graduation in '07 but changed coaches 2 or 3 yrs ago.]

p.s. The entire ballet, as presented at the Bolshoi, is being shown at the Kennedy Center. No cuts were made for the tour, as can often happen. The only tiny change, that I could tell: During the Act III pageant, the six little cupids (girl student-supers) who sit at the base of Old Father Time's clock are missing; at the Bolshoi, the little cupids stand up and move the hands of the clock in between divertissement numbers.

#13 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:50 AM

For folks hoping to catch Tikhomirova's Folie in upcoming performances, she repeats the role on Thursday night and at the weekend's two matinees, according to the playbill. (Vorontsova dances Folie in the remaining performances.) Tikhomirova also appears as one of Swanhilda's 8 friends (Acts I and II) in all performances.

Run-down on the A3 divert's four classical solo ladies:

Tonight (Wednesday)
Dawn - Okuneva
Prayer - Grebenshikova
Work - Kokhlova
Folie - Vorontsova

Thursday
Dawn - Okuneva
Prayer - Nikulina
Work - Vorontsova
Folie - Tikhomirova

Friday
Dawn - Okuneva
Prayer - Grebenshikova
Work - Kokhlova
Folie - Vorontsova

Saturday matinee
Dawn - Okuneva
Prayer - Nikulina
Work - Vorontsova
Folie - Tikhomirova

Saturday evening
Dawn - Okuneva
Prayer - Grebenshikova
Work - Kokhlova
Folie - Vorontsova

Sunday matinee (last perf.)
Dawn - Stashkevich
Prayer - Nikulina
Work - Vorontsova
Folie - Tikhomirova

Big Downer: No Olga Smirnova on this tour. Boo! She would have been perfect in the 'tall sculptural' solo roles of this tour, i.e., Prayer, Big Swan, Dryad Queen. Yes, she was busy preparing Jewels at the start of the month...but so were many other dancers who are here, such as Vorontsova. Obraztsova, of course, is another one who I'm missing but I was expecting that, as recently-hired principals rarely go on tours.

#14 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

ITA with you and cinnamonswirl on Stashkevich. You'll notice that she's the only one of the four A3 divert soloists who I did not mention above. Posted Image I saw her dance this role in Moscow during the initial weekend in March '09 when this production premiered. She was more secure in technique and less brittle (softer) than she is now. In fact, I'm almost tempted to write that some unannounced dancer filled-in for Stashkevich last night -- as often happens when the Bolshoi or Mariinsky are in town -- but I am not as familiar with the faces of Bolshoi dancers as I am with the Mariinsky's, so I'm assuming that we indeed saw Stashkevich. [size=2]Okuneva is listed to dance this role at all other performances except the final one, which goes to Stashkevich. [/size]

Well, assuming that we, indeed, did see Stashkevich last night, I just exchanged my Thursday night ticket for tonight (Aleksandrova).

#15 SimonA

SimonA

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Just a very quick report from tonight. Aleksandrova is a very different Swanilda. Not as soubrette, as you say, Natalia, but more technically assured than Kaptsova. Also, I thought she had a charming presence and winning personality that carried me quite effectively through the narrative. She also brought greater depth, poise and maturity to the Act 3 pas de deux. For adorability, Kaptsova is probably the more persuasive characterization, but I appreciated seeing both.

Skvortsov had the most exciting dancing of the evening in his Act 3 solo and was wonderful throughout. Missed Tikhomirova's Folie tonight.

The corps looked a bit sharper (no one fell tonight!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):