This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nijinsky's ballet slippers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

On this website, for a company that coordinates estates and exhibitions, you will find a photo of a pair of Nijinsky's ballet slippers. By clicking on the image, you can see a few other personal articles of his clothing.

#2 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

I wonder about the leather triangles. They are remeniscent of Bournonville style slippers. I wonder what the function was?

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

They're gussets - providing for expansion of the vamp of the shoe across its width at the throat.

#4 sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

Oh, the infamous Giselle shorts! Or "culottes," as they are listed in the text.

I love the photos of the costumes, but I'm even more intrigued by this

"Another important aspect of this collection is a rare and unusually comprehensive record of Nijinsky and his fellow dancers from the 1911 to 1921 London Ballets Russes seasons with photographs by the Edwardian photo-modernist Emil Otto Hoppé. These intimate largely unpublished portraits represent a body of work that depicts Diaghilev's Ballets Russes dancers in their prime."

You can see some of the photos here -- I can't find any additional information about the text they list (One Hundred Photographs: E.O. Hoppé and the Ballets Russes, essays by John Bowlt and Oleg Minin (2011)) -- does anyone here have any references?

#5 rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

re: the GISELLE "bloomers" these would not be the infamous ones Benois designed for Diaghilev's production from act 1, but more likely the ones intended for act 2 (as seen in some photos puckered out from the slits in the shorts that make up the costume's panatloon-styled bottom half).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):