This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nijinsky's ballet slippers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

On this website, for a company that coordinates estates and exhibitions, you will find a photo of a pair of Nijinsky's ballet slippers. By clicking on the image, you can see a few other personal articles of his clothing.

#2 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:21 AM

I wonder about the leather triangles. They are remeniscent of Bournonville style slippers. I wonder what the function was?

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

They're gussets - providing for expansion of the vamp of the shoe across its width at the throat.

#4 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

Oh, the infamous Giselle shorts! Or "culottes," as they are listed in the text.

I love the photos of the costumes, but I'm even more intrigued by this

"Another important aspect of this collection is a rare and unusually comprehensive record of Nijinsky and his fellow dancers from the 1911 to 1921 London Ballets Russes seasons with photographs by the Edwardian photo-modernist Emil Otto Hoppé. These intimate largely unpublished portraits represent a body of work that depicts Diaghilev's Ballets Russes dancers in their prime."

You can see some of the photos here -- I can't find any additional information about the text they list (One Hundred Photographs: E.O. Hoppé and the Ballets Russes, essays by John Bowlt and Oleg Minin (2011)) -- does anyone here have any references?

#5 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

re: the GISELLE "bloomers" these would not be the infamous ones Benois designed for Diaghilev's production from act 1, but more likely the ones intended for act 2 (as seen in some photos puckered out from the slits in the shorts that make up the costume's panatloon-styled bottom half).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):