This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Osipova and Vasiliev to leave The Bolshoi

Waelsung

Step One towards our seeing an Osipova & Vasiliev Laurencia soon -- preferably on tour in NYC, 2012 -- is taking place! See this:

http://www.mikhailov...12-01-20&sh=979

Osipova & Vasiliev make their debuts as Laurencia and Frondoso on January 20 at the Mikhailovsky (the full-length version of the ballet, that is). I hope that it is such a hit that Messrs. Kekhman and Danielian have no choice but to add this to the ballets coming to the USA this summer. (see post #91 at the top of this page)

The Giselle market in NYC this spring is saturated, so I'm surprised Mikhailovsky is bringing Giselle to New York. (ABT is doing it in May and Paris Opera Ballet in July). I think more people would go to a novelty like Laurencia.

I am still learning about the ballet world, but I think Giselle is a cash cow in the ballet world sort of like Carmen is in opera. After 20 years of opera I think attending another Carmen would make me throw up. LOL Seriously, it would take an EXTRAORDINARY mezzo to get me to even cross the street for a Carmen. But regional and international companies program it over and over. La Boheme is similar (cash cow) too, but it is more lovely, so I can tolerate even though I do get tired of it and would much rather see other operas. But these cash cows bring in the crowds. Not sure rare works do even with stars. When I went to NY to see Renee Fleming sing in Il Pirata years ago there were lots of empty seats. Il Pirata is an interesting work and rare for the most part, but it doesn't fill the house. Traviata, Boheme, Carmen, or Rigoletto fill the house, so those are played over and over again. I suspect the ballet world is the same. Balletomanes want to see something like Laurencia for something new, but the general public wants to see Giselle, so Giselle would make a whole lot more money. I suspect that is the case.