This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mariinsky in DC, Jan 2012 - Diaghilev 3ple billnews + reviews, Jan 17-22, 2012

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

[Note, Jan 18, 2012: The post below reflects the originally-announced casting. For the playbill casting, printed on the first night of the run, please go Post #16 of this thread. There are major changes.]

Casting is up for the Kennedy Center performances this January. Lopatkina in Scheherazade, Kondaurova in Firebird and -- drumroll! -- DARIA PAVLENKO in TWO ballets, multiple performances! (...[size=2]and NO "You-Know-Who"....SHHHHHHH)[/size]

Mariinsky Ballet
Valery Gergiev
, Artistic Director
Yuri Fateev, Deputy Director of the Ballet Company

with the Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra

Les Saisons Russes (The Russian Seasons)
Choreography by Mikhail Fokine
Chopiniana (Les Sylphides)
Music by Frédéric Chopin
Scheherazade
Music by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
The Firebird
Music by Igor Stravinsky

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
Chopiniana
Mazurka, Seventh waltz: Maria Shirinkina (Tue. & Fri. eves., Sun. mat.), Anastasia Kolegova (Wed. eve., Sat. mat.), Oxana Skoryk (Thu. & Sat. eves.)
Eleventh waltz: Yana Selina (Tue. & Thu. eves., Sat. & Sun. mats.), Svetlana Ivanova (Wed., Fri., & Sat. eves.)
Prelude: Xenia Ostreykovskaya (Tue., Fri., & Sat. eves.), Daria Pavlenko (Wed. & Thu. eves., Sat. & Sun. mats.)
Nocturne, Mazurka: Igor Kolb (Tue. eve. & Sun. mat.), Evgeny Ivanchenko (Wed. eve. & Sat. mat.), Maxim Zyuzin (Thu. & Sat. eves.), Anton Korsakov (Fri. eve.)

The Firebird
The Firebird: Ekaterina Kondaurova (Tue. & Sat. eves.), Anastasia Petushkova (Wed. & Fri. eves., Sun. mat.), Alexandra Iosifidi (Thu. eve., Sat. mat.)
Ivan-Tsarevich: Alexander Romanchikov (Tue. & Thu. eves., Sat. & Sun. mats.), Ivan Sitnikov (Wed., Fri., & Sat. eves.)
The Princess of Great Beauty: Ekaterina Mukhailovtseva (all performances)
Kashchei the Immortal: Soslan Kulaev (Tue. & Thu. eves., Sat. & Sun. mats.), Vladimir Ponomarev (Wed., Fri., & Sat. eves.)

Scheherazade
Zobeide: Uliana Lopatkina (Tue. eve., Sat. & Sun. mat.), Daria Pavlenko (Wed., Fri., & Sat. eves.)
Zobeide's Slave: Daniil Korsuntsev (Tue. & Fri. eves., Sun. mat.), Anton Korsakov (Wed. & Sat. eves.), Evgeny Ivanchenko (Thu. eve.), Igor Kolb (Sat. mat.)
Sultan Shahriyar: Vladimir Ponomarev (Tue. & Thu. eves., Sat. & Sun. mats.), Soslan Kulaev (Wed., Fri., & Sat. eves.)

#2 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the notice, Natalia.Opening night casting looks great! Anyone have recommendations for a second cast? Is Oxana Skoryk worth seeing?

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

I'm disappointed that Vishneva and Tereshkina are not appearing. I'm most looking forward to Kondaurova in Firebird.

#4 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the notice, Natalia.Opening night casting looks great! Anyone have recommendations for a second cast? Is Oxana Skoryk worth seeing?

I've had a soft spot for Skoryk since seeing her in the recent Perm Ballet Academy documentary but...her reviews for the past 6 months have been rather negative (London, Miami, etc.), usually along the lines that she 'hyperextends' and is not very musical.

In addition to the opener on Tues, I would go with the one performance that has Pavlenko in two ballets: Wed night. Wed is also great because it has Svetlana Ivanova in Chopiniana & she is extraordinary in this. Wednesday night is the only Chopiniana that will have both Pavlenko & Ivanova. The lead ballerina is the rarely-seen Kolegova and she's pretty good in this. The Poet is Ivanchenko; this is one of his better ballets...BUT Wednesday's Chopiniana should be all about Pavlenko & Ivanova (& the corps), IMO. [Of course, we all know that "casting is subject to change" especially with the Mariinsky.]

Abatt, I share your disappointments with no Vishneva or Tereshkina, although not having Vishneva is not a surprise. I'm very sorry to not have Vladimir Schklyarov and Alexander Sergeev...but the latter is Pavlenko's husband and I guess that one of them stays home taking care of baby. Posted Image )

Xander Parish is often cast as the Poet in Chopiniana at home & abroad; surprised that he isn't on this tour.

Osmolkina is often the lead of Chopiniana at home but she isn't on this tour. I hope that she is OK; she was replaced at last minute by Obraztsova in last Friday's Romeo & Juliet back home. Speaking of Obraztsova - she's also missing from this tour but, in her case, it's no surprise, as these aren't 'her' ballets.

Last but not least: The "Matvienkii" -- Denis and Anastasia -- are missing; she often dances Firebird (including the recent London tour) and he (both?) have danced Scheherazade. [Perhaps another move is in the works for this stellar couple, perhaps even with a Directorship...in some large Eastern European company?] They will be missed on this tour.

#5 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

I'm ecstatic that Dasha Pavlenko is coming back to DC! Her return to our shores has been long overdue.

#6 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

OMIGOD I cannot believe that Pavlenko is coming! I pretty much never miss the Mariinsky when they're anywhere near NY but I'm not crazy about this program so I was debating about whether to go. I'd kind of decided that I'd wait and see if Kondaurova was cast in Firebird and then maybe go for 1 performance.

Now I'm in for the weekend!!!!!

Agree that its a shame Vishneva, Tereshkina, Obraztsova and Sklyarov aren't coming but honestly, I'd gladly trade them all for Pavlenko. Have to go buy my tickets now...

#7 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

No Schklyarov...booo

Pavlenko.HURRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

One small update (not a switch): The KennCen cast list now shows a Zobeide for Thursday: Kondaurova!

Zobeide: Uliana Lopatkina (Tue. eve., Sat. & Sun. mat.), Daria Pavlenko (Wed., Fri., & Sat. eves.), Ekaterina Kondaurova (Thu. eve.)

As far as I can tell, nothing else has changed [size=2](yet...shhhhh).[/size]

[size=4]p.s. - OK, that does it. I now have booked for every single show & can be certified as truly Looney Tunes![/size]

#9 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

[size=4]p.s. - OK, that does it. I now have booked for every single show & can be certified as truly Looney Tunes![/size]

Be proud, Nat.

#10 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

Puppy, I love these casts. Not a dudd in sight. (wink) Besides, I'm determined to see Pavlenko by hook or crook, even if she's juggled around from performance to performance on the castings, between now and opening night ([size=2]hope not, for everyone's sake[/size]). ALL BASES COVERED!

#11 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

This is a Kennedy Center sneak preview and a rare occurence. Daria Pavlenko and her husband Alexander Sergeev are interviewed with scenes of their "Giselle" from the Mariinsky TheatrePosted Image .

http://news.bbc.co.u...ack/9653088.stm

#12 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

This is a Kennedy Center sneak preview and a rare occurence. Daria Pavlenko and her husband Alexander Sergeev are interviewed with scenes of their "Giselle" from the Mariinsky TheatrePosted Image .

http://news.bbc.co.u...ack/9653088.stm

What a treat, thanks for posting this! Brings back memories of her Ken Center Giselle a few years ago. I think it was the last time I saw her...maybe with Kolb?

#13 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:42 AM

The season opens tonight. (Hoorah!)

Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed that the lead casting 'sticks.' There have been no alterations to the casting on the KennCen website since November 9th (when Kondaurova was added to the list of Zobeides). The company checked in over the weekend and apparently all of our favorites have made it here...but I have not checked the registration book at the front desk of the hotel where dancers may be staying, as some have done in the past (ha-ha).

I'll report on any potential changes in the printed Playbill for the rest of the run, as I'll be going tonight. Again, I am hoping for no changes since many folks have made travel plans according to the casting on the KennCen site.

[size=2]p.s. So far, it's a "Somova No-Fly Zone"...[/size] Posted Image

#14 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Ahhhh...Kondaurova no longer appears in Scheherazade; she was listed as Thursday's Zobeide. (No fears -- she is still first-cast Firebird!) So we are now back to two Zobeides -- Lopatkina and Pavlenko.

From the newest Kennedy Center listing:
Scheherazade
Zobeide
: Uliana Lopatkina (Tue. eve., Sat. & Sun. mats.), Daria Pavlenko (Wed.–Sat. eves.)
Zobeide's Slave: Daniil Korsuntsev (Tue. & Fri. eves., Sun. mat.), Anton Korsakov (Wed. & Sat. eves.), Evgeny Ivanchenko (Thu. eve.), Igor Kolb (Sat. mat.)
Sultan Shahriyar: Vladimir Ponomarev (Tue. & Thu. eves., Sat. & Sun. mats.), Soslan Kulaev (Wed., Fri., & Sat. eves.)

Again, I plan to post here any other changes to the various castings, as may be indicated in tonight's playbill (which should cover the entire week).

[size=2]Of course, even the playbill is infallible. This is the Mariinsky; anything can happen until the curtain goes up! All we can do is plan to the best of our abilities.[/size]

#15 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

One more deletion on the KC website: Anton Korsakov is no longer dancing the Friday Chopiniana...but he remains for two Golden Slaves/Scheherazade. Maxim Zyuzin adds the Friday night to his Chopinianas:

Nocturne, Mazurka: Igor Kolb (Tue. & Wed. eves.), Evgeny Ivanchenko (Sat. mat.), Maxim Zyuzin (Thu., Fri. & Sat. eves., Sun. mat.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):