This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB @ KennedyCenter-DC

The Kennedy Center's website has posted the titles of ballets to be performed in DC next spring.

PROGRAM A - All American (Timing: Approx. 2-1/2 hours, with two 20-minute intermissions)

Apr. 3, 5, 6 eves & 7 mat.

Who Cares? (Balanchine/Gershwin, arr. Kay)

Fearful Symmetries (Martins/Adams)

West Side Story (Robbins/Bernstein)

PROGRAM B - 21st Century (Timing: Approx. 2-1/4 hours, with two 20-minute intermissions)

Apr. 4 & 7 eves & 8 mat.

New Wheeldon (Wheeldon/Bizet)

Russian Seasons (Ratmansky/Desyatnikov)

Hallelujah Junction (Martins/Adams)

Source: http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=BMBSF

Kind of blah. Unless you haven't seen Russian Seasons and are interested in that. Two Martins pieces; just one Balanchine and no Robbins.

No kiddin'. There's a Robbins...but 'Broadway Robbins,' rather than 'Balletic Robbins.' The one Balanchine is of the toe-tapping Broadway genre, rather than one of his more sublime works. I've seen Russian Seasons, so am inclined to skip the entire run unless the 'new Wheeldon' is semi-serious and not another Broadway-style pandering to non-balletic audience.

Might be blah if you've seen all of these pieces before, but I don't think I've seen any of them so far so I'm looking forward to it.

But once of each program will probably be enough.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Edited by koshka

We're lucky the company brings relatively few Martins ballets to Washington. Fortunately, I happen to like John Adams. A new ballet by one of the two most acclaimed choreographers working today and a celebrated work by another makes #2 a strong bill in my opinion, and the Balanchine/Gershwin and Robbins/Bernstein pieces on the same program ought to please a lot of people.