6 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

The Kennedy Center's website has posted the titles of ballets to be performed in DC next spring.

PROGRAM A - All American (Timing: Approx. 2-1/2 hours, with two 20-minute intermissions)
Apr. 3, 5, 6 eves & 7 mat.
Who Cares? (Balanchine/Gershwin, arr. Kay)
Fearful Symmetries (Martins/Adams)
West Side Story (Robbins/Bernstein)

PROGRAM B - 21st Century (Timing: Approx. 2-1/4 hours, with two 20-minute intermissions)
Apr. 4 & 7 eves & 8 mat.
New Wheeldon
(Wheeldon/Bizet)
Russian Seasons (Ratmansky/Desyatnikov)
Hallelujah Junction (Martins/Adams)

Source: http://www.kennedy-c...ts/?event=BMBSF

#2 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

Kind of blah. Unless you haven't seen Russian Seasons and are interested in that. Two Martins pieces; just one Balanchine and one Robbins.

Edited by Dale, 04 November 2011 - 01:55 PM.
fixed a number

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

Kind of blah. Unless you haven't seen Russian Seasons and are interested in that. Two Martins pieces; just one Balanchine and no Robbins.

No kiddin'. There's a Robbins...but 'Broadway Robbins,' rather than 'Balletic Robbins.' The one Balanchine is of the toe-tapping Broadway genre, rather than one of his more sublime works. I've seen Russian Seasons, so am inclined to skip the entire run unless the 'new Wheeldon' is semi-serious and not another Broadway-style pandering to non-balletic audience.

#4 koshka

koshka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:14 AM

Might be blah if you've seen all of these pieces before, but I don't think I've seen any of them so far so I'm looking forward to it.
But once of each program will probably be enough.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Edited by koshka, 05 November 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#5 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

After the "Black and Whites" programming of last year, this suggests that they are just going to bring what's handy. A shame that they don't program more thoughtfully.

#6 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

Boooooo. Depending on what the new Wheeldon is like, each program may have one good ballet (Who Cares, Russian Seasons), a clunker (Martins) and a blah ballet. I guess NYCB thinks we got enough Balanchine last year.

#7 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

We're lucky the company brings relatively few Martins ballets to Washington. Fortunately, I happen to like John Adams. A new ballet by one of the two most acclaimed choreographers working today and a celebrated work by another makes #2 a strong bill in my opinion, and the Balanchine/Gershwin and Robbins/Bernstein pieces on the same program ought to please a lot of people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):