This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NYCB Goes to the Movies -- with Balanchine's Nutcracker

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#31 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

The NYCB website says that the tickets will go on sale on Nov 18 through the Fathom website.

Thanks so much -- I didn't have time to rummage around on the NYCB site.

The tickets are on sale now on Fandango, at least in New York.

#32 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Here is the Fandango link for New York City.

http://www.fandango....date=12/13/2011

#33 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

well, which warhorse would you prefer?

well, which warhorse would you prefer?

Bucephalus. No, maybe Traveller. :)

I'm perfectly willing to leave that to the company, Jayne. I just question the decision to go with Nutcracker, not from NYCB's point of view but from that of other companies. I hope there's no reason to worry.

#34 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

I'm still confused about the correlation between the Dec 13 'live in cinema' Nutcracker and the Dec 14 'live from Lincoln Center' TV edition. Are we talking about the exact-same cast and performance, shown twice...or two separate & distinct performances?

Somebody above seems to think that the Dec 14th TV showing will be a tape of the previous night's cinemas showing. That concerns me because (a) it's not the 'live' performance that PBS has been promising TV viewers and (b) there's no guarantee that the TV public may see the entire ballet uncut and unedited, e.g., what's to keep the Balanchine Trust from judiciously snipping and re-editing portions so that TV viewers cannot tape the entire experience. Between the 13th & 14th, will dancers be able to re-film flubbed portions (although I would not expect the need for that with top-flight dancers)?

On the other hand...

If the Dec 13 performance will be only for the cinema public AND the Dec 14 performance, with a different cast, will be also TOTALLY LIVE and UNCUT/UNEDITED for the TV public, then it would be a WIN-WIN situation. However, I still find it amazing that, after so many years of NYCB not showing live uncut performances, they would allow the airing of TWO separate and distinct performances -- with, say, Bouder leading on the 13th and Reichlen on the 14th -- to be shown live via two different media. Miracles could come true. Let's see what transpires.

re. Watching Live in a Theater vs via media/YouTube, etc. - I agree with dirac that there's absolutely no substitute for being in the theater. For ex., I would never trade my recent experience of having been inside La Scala seeing the Raymonda live had I known ahead of time that it would soon be available on YouTube/TV. No matter how sharp the picture and well filmed, YouTube/TV/DVD do not convey the energy of the moment...sitting in that red-and-gold box...looking out into the auditorium...witnessing a 3-dimensional live spectacle...being in Milano! TV, cinemas, DVDs, YouTube do not come close to being in a grand theater, no matter how wonderful it is to be able to see the ballet without having to spend round-trip int'l airfare, hotel room, and 180 Euros-a-show ticket, not to mention planning the wardrobe, etc. I would not be worried about TV/DVDs/cinemas keeping people away from wanting to experience the same ballet in the grand theater...because going to the theater is so much more than just 'viewing' a show. It's great to have seen the Bolshoi Reopening 'live in cinemas' but, if I could have, I would have much prefered to have been there in person.

I can barely watch ballet on youtube. Even compared to a dvd of the same production, not even a live performance, the youtube excerpts are fuzzy and uncomfortable to watch.

So is anyone in NY going to do a triple play of NYCB (movie, pbs, and live performance), and then a comparison of ABT, NYTB, Eglevsky, and other local productions? I am still trying to decide what to do.

#35 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

So is anyone in NY going to do a triple play of NYCB (movie, pbs, and live performance)...

Oh, please -- someone do!

#36 justafan

justafan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

I think this is such a good idea because it may be way to capitalize on the recent interest in dance in general (ballroom, modern) and woo them to the ballet. You probably have to start with the Nutcracker in order to get people into the theater but if it proves successful, you can move on to Sleeping Beauty, then maybe less traditional (i.e. Robbins, Balanchine) fare. If it works, you'll develop more balletomanes which will be good for all companies, regional or otherwise.

I keep thinking that the ballet world has to be better at connecting the dots for people. When shows like "So You Think You Can Dance?" are so popular, I can't help but think that exposure to truly wonderful dancing and choreography might convert the public to ballet.

#37 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:46 AM

Reminder; Tickets go on sale today (outside of NYC) for the Dec 13th 'Live in Cinemas' airing of Balanchine's Nutcracker by NYCB. http://www.fathomeve...nutcracker.aspx

Apparently, this will be a different cast -- different performance -- from what will be aired on PBS the following evening.

#38 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

Reminder; Tickets go on sale today for the Dec 13th 'Live in Cinemas' airing of Balanchine's Nutcracker by NYCB. http://www.fathomeve...nutcracker.aspx

Don't dawdle, folks. The Fandango link Eileen posted said they went on sale on the 18th, and I bought tickets last week.

#39 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:07 AM

Kfw, they just went on sale today in the DC area...I suspect that 'high arts markets' like NYC started earlier. Anyway, the link for my area's theaters went 'active' just this morn, so I had no trouble obtaining tix for my family @ Ballston Commons Mall, where hubby will have an ice-hockey game late at night, after the ballet. It should be an interesting evening.

#40 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:24 AM

Kfw, they just went on sale today in the DC area...I suspect that 'high arts markets' like NYC started earlier. Anyway, the link for my area's theaters went 'active' just this morn, so I had no trouble obtaining tix for my family @ Ballston Commons Mall, where hubby will have an ice-hockey game late at night, after the ballet. It should be an interesting evening.

Yeah, that should make for quite the combination. Someone remind me not to post before I've had my coffee. I should have said I bought tickets last week despite the posted date of the 18th.

#41 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:24 AM

I bought tickets to the filmed Nutcracker on Fandango on November 3 at Union Square multiplex.

#42 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

Peter Gelb of the Met Opera was recently asked about the issue of diluting the in house audience in an interview. He noted that ticket sales in house declined last year, but he intends to proceed with HD broadcasts of the operas. Personally, I don't think that the HD broadcasts of the opera are the reason for generally declining ticket sales at the Met. I think it has more to do with weak casts and poor productions. Tickets for operas with "A" list cast members still sell very well.

I think you're right that the casts are the important thing regardless of HD presentations, although I find myself planning fewer trips to NY now that the Met transmits a lot of their operas into movie theaters. Of course, live opera with performers in the same room is always the best, but when you add up the cost of flight, hotel, possible cancellations by singers, possible flight delays, etc......well, unless it is a really good cast and one of my favorite operas I am not planning to fly up. I think I would have still flown up to see two Anna Bolenas this year if I had not had a personal conflict. I wanted to compare and contrast Anna Netrebko and Angela Meade in the role. I also would attend the Ring Cycle but I hate the new "machine" so far from the transmissions. So I decided to save money and stay home. Anyway, my point is that I am not sure if the HD transmissions have kept me home and I don't know if I actually would make more of an effort to fly to NY if there were no HD transmissions. I didn't mean to go on about opera, but I think this all applies to ballet. Are these live in movies performances keeping people at home or helping the art form overall?

I am torn about my feelings about ballet in cinema. I am so glad that I can see Bolshoi performances live as they are happening, but if many ballet companies started transmitting live, I think it might keep me at home instead of traveling to NY or Russia to see anything. I do think seeing actual performers in the same room is the best and most ideal and most exciting, but when it comes to ballet you tend to get basically everything in the movies unlike opera. In opera you can not tell how big or small the voice is at the movie theater. Everyone sounds the same level of loudness in the movie theater. So there is a bigger incentive to see singers live in an actual opera house as opposed to dancers. I imagine some dancers might have a charisma on stage that doesn't always translate to a movie screen. Not sure.

This is all fascinating to try to figure out if these movie transmissions are good or bad for business for these companies. I suspect there will always people who want to make the pilgrimage to the Bolshoi, the Mariinsky, La Scala, etc. On the other hand I have talked myself out of flying up to see things the past few years since the Met transmitted what I wanted to see into the movies.

With all that said I have a subscription to my local ballet company. So I think there are no easy cut and dry answers. I think companies are probably feeling their way through these new technological advancements and how to profit from them.

#43 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

Bart, your concerns are valid, but I wonder how many tourists make up the audience of the ballet? More specifically, how many tourists who are in town specifically to see that particular ballet, with that cast? My point is that the majority of season ticket holders for NYCB live in the great metropolitan area of NYC. Yes, tourists who will be in NYC anyway will still purchase tickets, and if they are planning a trip to NYC, they might check the dates of NYCB's performances to make sure the vacation dates include an NYCB or ABT performance or two (or the Opera, etc). But I think the goal is to expose NYCB to new audiences of children and adults, so that when they *do* plan to visit NYC, they think "oh, while we're there, let's try to go see NYCB live, since we enjoyed the cinema performance so much." Same thing with the opera.

I am planning a trip to NYC in 2012, to see my best friend and her family. After seeing Don Giovanni earlier this month in the Met Cinema series, the company is fresh on my mind, and I spent several days on email and the Met website last week comparing scheduled performances against my window of time to visit NYC. I doubt I would have been so motivated to include the Met, if not for the cinema presentation.

#44 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

Bart, your concerns are valid, but I wonder how many tourists make up the audience of the ballet? More specifically, how many tourists who are in town specifically to see that particular ballet, with that cast? My point is that the majority of season ticket holders for NYCB live in the great metropolitan area of NYC. Yes, tourists who will be in NYC anyway will still purchase tickets, and if they are planning a trip to NYC, they might check the dates of NYCB's performances to make sure the vacation dates include an NYCB or ABT performance or two (or the Opera, etc). But I think the goal is to expose NYCB to new audiences of children and adults, so that when they *do* plan to visit NYC, they think "oh, while we're there, let's try to go see NYCB live, since we enjoyed the cinema performance so much." Same thing with the opera.

I am planning a trip to NYC in 2012, to see my best friend and her family. After seeing Don Giovanni earlier this month in the Met Cinema series, the company is fresh on my mind, and I spent several days on email and the Met website last week comparing scheduled performances against my window of time to visit NYC. I doubt I would have been so motivated to include the Met, if not for the cinema presentation.

Jayne,
You are probably right. Your theory makes me happier, b/c it makes sense and means that live HD presentations will not dilute the audience for opera and ballet. I really hope it doesn't. I have gone to NY just for opera and everything else is icing on the cake, same with other trips to other places, but I am nuts! Most people would not plan a trip just to see opera.
Bart

#45 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Here's the cast, released by the company:

GEORGE BALANCHINE’S THE NUTCRACKERTM
PRINCIPAL CASTING TUESDAY EVENING, DECEMBER 13, 6:00 PM
(Broadcast live to movie theaters nationally)
AND WEDNESDAY EVENING, DECEMBER 14, 8:00 PM
(Broadcast live nationally on PBS by Live From Lincoln Center) (Conductor: Otranto)
SUGARPLUM: M. Fairchild; CAVALIER: De Luz; DEWDROP: Bouder; HERR DROSSELMEIER: Hendrickson; MARZIPAN: T. Peck; HOT CHOCOLATE: Scheller, Danchig-Waring; COFFEE: Reichlen; TEA: Carmena; CANDY CANE: Ulbricht; MOTHER GINGER: Scordato; FLOWERS: Lowery, Krohn; DOLLS: Lovette, Sell; SOLDIER: Huxley; MOUSE KING: J. Peck; DR & FRAU STAHLBAUM: Muller, la Cour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):