This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sleeping Beauty TV Sadlers Wells performance 1955

Yes, I know the one you are talking about. For me, it is the best recorded Fonteyn SB I have seen. She has been criticized over the years for having 'no feet'---

a look at this will put that observation to rest. I believe this was done for American TV---hence the brevity of it..

What's the staging background of this production ?. Was N. Sergueiev still around...? Was there any previous SB at the Vic-Wells around the times of the first stagings done by him during the 30's-(Giselle, SL, Nutcracker)- starring Markova...? Did Markova ever danced the role in England before Fonteyn...?

I assume they are the Sergeyev version (just before they restaged it for the grand re opening of Covent?) I'd love to see the Nutcracker just because that basic staging is so rare. Fonteyn is a marvel and Somes is... well very handsome anyway.

I've pre ordered this on DVD--it's a treasure to have and Helpmann is the scariest Carabosse I've ever seen!

I have not yet watched this version. I have a general question about the story. The prince expresses his sadness and longing before the vision that Lilac provides. What is the basis for this? Does he have any other relationship to Aurora? Also, different versions have different names for the prince. What is the derivation of this?

Wiley's translation of the 1890 libretto gives the prince's answer to Lilac's asking what he feels in his heart, "You are still not in love with anyone?" she asks.

"No," the prince answers, "the noble girls of my homeland have not moved my heart, and I prefer to remain a bachelor than to marry someone only for reasons of state."

after which, Lilac says she'll show him his "future wife: she is the most beautiful, most captivating and most intelligent princess in the world."