This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Watch "La Bayadere" buildrehearsal footage

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

Cristian, they're doing more than Shades, but I'm not sure how much. They'll do a matinee with bits from Gamzatti's wedding (KAB often does danse manu, and I think they'll do the parrot dance as well as the pas de deux). And then in the evening they'll do Shades -- that is not official, and could change, but that's what I know now. They'll also do a piece for the 11 and 12 year olds, and a few solos and pas de deux.

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

Very nice, Alexandra...the girls look very serious and hard working.

#18 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Thanks, Cristian. They're getting there. They really are serious about it. I think that's the beauty of student performances -- no matter what the school!

To those new to this thread, I wanted to put up videos that the school is posting on youtube because I thought it might be interesting to see the rehearsal process, and to see the ballet build -- see how it might change from week to week. I'm not sure how much does show. They started filming about the 4th rehearsal, and they already knew the steps. They're cleaning now, and the changes are subtle.

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

This is the 4th rehearsal -- we've been off for a week. I think this was filmed yesterday, which means the dancers had only been in class two days after that break. They're beginning to clean now -- working on the backs.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=CjJTEc14mEg

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

I don't know how many rehearsals they've had since the last post, but this was the first one in the performance studio. There's a lot of marking; I think this rehearsal was for spacing. At the beginning, they're meeting their sleeves for the first time. And this is the first time we'll see the 3 Shades (who mark), and a bit of Nikiya and Solor. All the soloists are seniors.

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

The addition of the soft blue light instantly brings the magic. That was an "ahhhh moment."

Thank you very much for this fascinating video journey, Alexandra. I am so looking forward to seeing the 'fruit of everyone's labor' this Saturday night! Posted Image

#22 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

I loved the sight of the girls arranging their veils. There was something very iconic on it. It made me remember a pic of Kssesinskaya as Nikiya I've seen somewhere with some corps girls in the background. The very fact of seeing all this modern young women repeating once again what those others did so many years ago amazed me, as it does every time I see am imperial ballet chunk being passed on, repeated, rehearsed, preserved, taking care of with love and respect. It is a relieve to see that those veils and those arabesques and tendus are well kept. Thanks, Alexandra, for the videos. I really wsh them well.

#23 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

I love rehearsals. It's even better when you can watch a series of rehearsals, observing the miracles that happen as the participants go further and further through the process. In your latest video, the combination of marking and all-out dancing has a choreographic power of its own.

This has been a fascinating project, Alexandra, and thank you for it. I love the trend of "opening up" the classical arts to the audience -- allowing us to join the artists in the studio or back-stage to observe first hand the way creation happens. Material like this de-mystifies ballet and other performance arts, which -- paradoxically -- and makes me feel the mystique all the more when the curtain rises.

I look forward to seeing what things are like on opening night. Good luck to your students and to the teachers and coaches who have guided them through this process.

#24 koshka

koshka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have not had a chance to watch all the videos yet, but I am saving them as a special treat. Thank you so much! Bart is absolutely right--it's so wonderful to see a series of rehearsals. It was also good to have the reminder that the performance is coming in time to get tickets.

#25 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

Thanks, Natalia, Cristian, Bart and koshka for watching, and for your comments. Cristian, I agree -- I get shivers when I think of how many dancers have performed this piece, and it's one of the reasons I love classical ballet. I also liked seeing the girls meeting their costumes. Tonight was the opening, and you would have thought they'd been wearing them for years. There were some wobbles, but no "mistakes" and considering that many of these girls have only been at the school since September, they coped very well with the style. Bart, there is something about marking, isn't there? I checked, and they did have them mark because they hadn't had class for a week. But, even though marked, the idea comes through. Natalia, the blue lighting does make magic -- I wish we could have seen it in the gas light, but this is much safer! For those in DC, they'll be dancing it both Friday and Saturday nights. There was also a brief clip on TV4 (NBC) news tonight, for those interested:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/video/#!/news/local/Kirov-Academy-Teaching-Disciplined--Athletic-Students/135706648

Thanks again for all who watched. I think those videos will be left up on the KAB site for awhile.

#26 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:50 AM

I went to the final performance last night, which was extraordinarily satisfying. 'Bravi, tutti!' for pulling off this corps piece de resistance with only a couple of bobbles somewhere in the 3rd row but, more importantly, with a poetic, singing quality that is the hallmark of the Mariinsky's style...not the choppy quality that we see even in ABT with pros. Every one of last night's 32 student Shades truly 'sang' through their bodies!

I haven't been at this school's performances in a year or so and am truly in awe of how, in such a short time, the new 'air of inclusion' has developed as much high quality and emphasis on corps work as it used to do before with 'star soloists' and future Varna gold medalists. Yes, the future stars are very much in evidence here, such as the marvellous 13-yr-old Rino Sakamoto, who wowed us as Aurora in SB's Rose Adagio...or Tomoha Terada as the high-flying Golden Idol in Bayadere Act II Suite. However, it was great to see a 'healthy attitude' towards 'the team,' while still embracing the high artistic values of the Vaganova method. Kudos to the academy's new AD, Martin Fredmann, and his team! This was one of the most felicitous KAB concerts that I've attended in years, reminding me of the "Golden Years of Hope" in the 1990s. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):