This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

UPGRADE MOSTLY COMPLETE

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

I've decided to bring up the board now, since our very kind IPB people rebuilt our database for us, and, from my preliminary tests, the board is working.

The UI changes won't be documented until later.

Two of the big ones are

1. "New Topic" Button on the Forums Pages is displayed after the Stickies, and you may need to scroll down to find it.

2. The "Reply" button has been kept at the top of the page, but removed from the bottom of the page. From the bottom of the page, you can
  • Use the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of the page (the old "Quick Reply"), or
  • You can click "More Reply Options" at the bottom right, and the full reply box will appear.

If you can't find a formatting option at the bottom of the page, click "More Reply Options"

I'm still trying to get rid of all of the avatar/photo boxes throughout the site, but I haven't been able to find them all. They will disappear gradually.

There may be a few features that we didn't notice and will disable.

The colors will change a bit.

---

I won't be available to make more changes until this afternoon Pacific Time. (I'm not ignoring you.)

-----

Please list any questions or comments here.

#2 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

Since it's Friday, 10/28, I assume I'm typing this on the upgraded site. Looks good! I really like some of the changes -- the calendar of upcoming performances in the right sidebar for instance (if it was there before, I never noticed it) and the "view new content" options in the left sidebar.

Thanks, Helene!

../../..//public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#3 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

It's just lovely, Helene - thank you for your excellent taste, hard work and dedication.

Edited to add: I know that you will be making changes, but the basic format is easy on the eyes and navigation is intuitive. Thumbs up!

#4 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

Helene....you're the best!

One small item..........

I use "View New Content" to navigate the board. After the upgrade, when I pushed that button, I got 8 pages of "new" content going back to the end of Sept. Maybe this is a one time thing, and once I log on to the new board for the 2nd time, it will "remember" that I was here not long ago. Just FYI in case it's useful for you to know.

#5 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Sandy, I notice that to the left of the list of New Content is a menu where you can select the time window. I don't know whether this is something Helene added since you posted (if so, thank you!) or is part of the default format. :thumbsup:

Posted Image , Helene, for also explaining the other changes. Posted Image

#6 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

Noticed, too, that the smileys appear [size=2](very tiny)[/size] in a strip below the posting space.

#7 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

I'm one of those who tends to resist changes in my daily routines, but I like the new appearance and am looking forward to learning how to navigate it. I have just found the new smiley strip, mentioned by carbro. Posted Image Thank you, Helene.

The following is probably off topic. At the time I logged in there were 6 other members on line. One was "Google." I don't think we have a member named Google. (5 minutes later he/she was gone.) Posted Image I've never noticed this before.

#8 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

Oh, Google, and his pal Yahoo, are here all the time! :)

I'd like to add my thanks, Helene. I know how hard this can be, and you do a wonderful job. Always. (And I am perpetually grateful.)

#9 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

Sandy, I notice that to the left of the list of New Content is a menu where you can select the time window.

BINGO....................thanks carbro!

What I thought was a glitch, turns out to be a great new feature! I've always wanted better control of what period of time the "New Content" applied to......now I've got it in spades.

I'm guessing that it defaulted to 1 month. Now that I have selected other options, the screen shows me just what you would expect (e.g., new in "last 24 hours", or best of all "those I haven't yet read"). Terrific.

Later.....it even remembers my choice between sessions and even thru logouts and logins.

#10 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

I just noticed another GREAT addition (at least I think it is new).

Note the icon at the far left of the top toolbar line (looks like a little light switch). It is for "Toggle editing mode". By hitting this button one can instantly switch between seeing all the HTML tags (in case you'd like to play with them); and how the text etc will actually appear when the HTML tags take effect. No more having to go to "Preview Post" to see what one's post is going to look like. Yea!

#11 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

About "View New Content", I just found a setting that lets the default be "New since my last visit". (It had been set to the only other default options, "Content I have not read". You can always change it back or choose another one of the options.

#12 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

I'm doing only little tweaks. Almost every UI change was done by IPB, the makers of our software, based on feedback from many of their customers.

I think they've done a splendid job with the UI.

There are some things that are graphics that will keep their colors, but I am trying to distinguish us from BT4D visually.

#13 Cliff

Cliff

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

Is there a way to adjust the display width (or number of columns)? To read a post I have to either use the horizontal scroll bar for each line or reduce the font size.

#14 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

Is there a way to adjust the display width (or number of columns)? To read a post I have to either use the horizontal scroll bar for each line or reduce the font size.

What are you reading the board on?

#15 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

I also think it is lovely and so far easy to navigate! Thank you!!

-d-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):