This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Benjamin Millepied Has Retired

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:42 AM

Millepied used to be a very good dancer. However, his abilities declined quickly after he got into the full time choreography/alternate ventures biz because he didn't keep up his stamina or technique.

#17 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

Millepied used to be a very good dancer. However, his abilities declined quickly after he got into the full time choreography/alternate ventures biz because he didn't keep up his stamina or technique.

I think Natalie Portman showed him a new glamorous world where you don't have to tax yourself physically but can make a career of being beautiful and posing prettily. He must have been thrilled at meeting famous actors and being the consort of the actress-of-the-moment. He had gone beyond NYCB he thought. I'm glad he is making room for someone who is still serious about dancing, like (eventually) Chase Finlay and Anthony Huxley. I think stardust and Portman have drawn Millepied to "opportunities" to be part of the celebrity scene.

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,328 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

He was more and more focused on choreography and less on dancing before he even met Portman.

Peter Martins has been his boss; Millipied's working relationship with NYCB has been Martins' responsibility.

Retiring from dancing after over a decade is hardly unheard of: not every man is Jacques d'Amboise. If he had gone to law school, would there be nearly as much snark about it?

#19 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

Now he can devote all of his time to his career as a male model:

Other dancers have done some modeling, yes? Nothing wrong with it, surely. Nice money if you have the looks and many dancers are naturally good camera subjects.

That wasn't what I was getting at.

I know. :)

#20 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Millepied made a lot of important connections early on in his career, including connections to donors to the ballet. I remember reading an article about how Jerome Robbins took Millepied under his wing, not just in terms of dancing, but in terms of introducing Millepied to important people. Also, I think a lot of dancers take advantage of all modeling opportunities available, whether it be Capezio or YSL. Roberto Bolle has modeled for many major fashion houses in Italy. If you've got it, flaunt it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):