This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BOLERO: Ballerinas and Ice Skating Champions

Evgenia Obraztsova is one of the 8 female ballerina-stars of a new Russian TV weekly dancing series called "BOLERO" (Rosiya 1 channel) which pairs famous male figure skaters with star-ballerinas from Moscow or St Petersburg. Obraztsova's partner will be Maxim Stavisky of the World Championship ice-dance team Denkova/Stavisky (represented Bulgaria but he is Russian).

http://pipcindom.ru/showthread.php?t=1319

Head judge (the 'Simon' of the judges?) will be Vladimir Vasiliev. Other judges incl Gediminas Taranda and, from the skating world, Tatyana Navka and super-coach Tamara Moskvina.

Emcee is Ilze Liepa; famous journalist and author Vladimir Pozner will conduct interviews.

Choreographers for the weekly show include Nacho Duato and Radu Poklitaru.

The dancer-skater partnerships will be:

Moscow's 'Team Ilya Averbukh' -

Alexei Yagudin ('02 Oly Men's champ) with Kristina Kretova (Stanislavsky )

Maxim Marinin ('06 Oly Prs champ) with Natalia Somova (Staniskavsky )

Roman Kostomarov ('06 Oly ice-dance champ...w/ Navka, one of the show's judges...hmmmmm) with Natalia Osipova (Bolshoi Ballet)

Maxim Shabalin (multi World ice-dance champ) with Ekaterina Krysanova (Bolshoi Ballet)

St. P's 'Team Farukh Ruzimatov' -

Maxim Stavisky (multi World ice-dance champ) with Evgenia Obraztsova (Mariinsky 1st soloist & Moscow guest-fave)

Alexei Tikhonov ('00 World pairs champ) with Vera Arbuzova (ex-Eifman prima, now w/ Mikhailovsky)

Peter Tchernichev (US ice-dance champ, orig. fm Russia) with Irina Perren (Mikhailovsky prima)

Povilas Vanagas (Lith ice-dance champ, World medalist) and Yulia Makhalina (!!!Mariinsky Principal!!!)

Here is the steamy 'trailer' for the TV show, featuring Osipova with '06 Olympic Ice-Dance champ Roman Kostomarov:

http://www.1tv.ru/sprojects_in_detail/si=5842

It appears like all of the dancing will be on land (on a stage) and not at an ice rink, thank goodness. We don't want Obraztsova and our other favorite Russian ballerinas injured, do we?

Russian Channel 1 is carried by COMCAST cable in several US markets. For ex., in the Washington, DC, area, it is channel #654. I'm fairly sure that it is carried by other U.S. cable providers, e.g., I saw it & other Russian-lang channels on Direct-TV in an Arlington, VA, home.

Vladimir "Simon" Vasiliev coached Maxim Marinin to several world championships and the Olympic Gold medal. Kostomarov's wife and mother of their baby daughter is Oksana Domnina, Maxim Shabalin's former partner with whom she won a World Championship, European Championships, and an Olympic bronze medal.

Skating is a small world.

It appears like all of the dancing will be on land (on a stage) and not at an ice rink, thank goodness. We don't want Obraztsova and our other favorite Russian ballerinas injured, do we?

From the trailer, on land seems dangerous enough ;)

All pairs and ice dance couples practice their lifts extensively on land before they transfer them to ice -- oddly, one of the things they never show in the behind-the-scenes videos, and possible never do?, on "Battle of the Blades" -- and their lifts have a lot of momentum even before they get to the ice, so the men have more experience in this than any of the non-experts in other ice or dance competitions.

Russian Channel 1 is carried by COMCAST cable in several US markets. For ex., in the Washington, DC, area, it is channel #654. I'm fairly sure that it is carried by other U.S. cable providers, e.g., I saw it & other Russian-lang channels on Direct-TV in an Arlington, VA, home.

Hopefully this will make it to YouTube.

Wow a lot of very respected dancers and skaters on the list. But why these particular dancers? Are they very famous in Russia or did they just get asked to do the show? Are they going to dance mainly or actually skate? I would very much like to see ballerinas skate!!! Of course don't wish to see injuries I know how hard skating is, that's why I chose rhythmic gym. over figure skating when I was young.

....Oksana Domnina, Maxim Shabalin's former partner with whom she won a World Championship, European Championships, and an Olympic bronze medal. ....

They of the much-discussed "Aboriginal Dance" costume with war paint and foliage.

That couple? Wow!

Skating may be a tiny world, but dance is pretty damn small too.

And yes, the trailer is quite hot.

When the dancing is choreographed, lit, shot, and edited the way it is in this trailer it scarcely matters that the woman is Natalia Osipova...except maybe when it comes to the height of the final leap and even that could be an effect of camera angles. It's sort of depressing to me, but perhaps the actual show will be more dancerly...

well that promo was pretty dang hot! Will be interesting to see how the ice dancing men do, most of them have prior barre training as part of their figure skating careers. I think what will be most interesting is not the fish-out-of-water nature of "Battle of the Blades" on CBC (macho hockey players and their delicate figure skating cousins), but the potential for amazing new superb pairings and performances. Both skaters and ballet dancers are known for amazing work ethics and ability to perform in pain.

I am a little worried about Maxim Shabalin's knee. It was completely thrashed by the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver. Bone on bone knee scraping, limping away from the ice, just made you wince to learn about it. I hope he's had surgery and a lot of rehab! Roman Kostomarov is incredibly magnetic to watch. Maxim Stavisky got into legal trouble in Bulgaria for a fatal car crash - he was driving after drinking alcohol. Hopefully this show is some rehab of a different sort (his reputation).

I think the Russian station is available on my cable, but I would have to pay extra for it. Will check into it, though.

Cordelia, the eight selected ballerinas are especially beloved by the Russian public at large, e.g., Obraztsova, Perren, angelic Krysanova. Absolutely adored. Vasiliev, who is also a producer of the show, I think, had a hand in nominating the dancers. Yulia Makhalina is extremely beloved in St. P., for example, in a way that foreign audiences who may only remember her as 'Vinogradov's Choice' do not understand. I'm happy that Makhalina will be dancing with Povilas Vanagas, who is one of the TALLEST and most expressive ice-skating guys around; I think that this couple will surprise.

Has anyone been watching this? I saw bits of the first 2 weeks and the 3rd episode this past Saturday. There haven't been any eliminations yet, it seems.

Kristina Kretova (ex-Kremlin/ex-Stanislavsky; recent move to Bolshoi) & her partner seem to be garnering the highest scores from the jury so far. They got a perfect '80' from the jury, as did the team of Osipova and Kostomarov. Arbuzova, Krysanova and their respective partners don't seem to be doing so well; both ballerinas seemed genuinely upset as they listened to jurors.

My favorite of the 8 routines last week was that of Yulia Makhalina & Povilas Vanagas, as a couple who 'come to life' from a photograph in an antique frame. [They scored close to 80...77 or 78, I think.] The jury & audience went crazy. If somebody would upload it from YouTube, I would be so grateful. It absolutely breaks the mold on Makhalina...she's so 'fresh' and 'loose' here - not uptight.

Osipova & Kostomarov danced a dramatic piece about a modern-day couple that breaks up, ending with Osipova letting go of a tea cup & saucer, which smash on the ground. Obraztsova & her overweight partner performed a very cute tango-like number; I'm not sure that she got the best of partners but she herself is dancing beautifully.

The entire show is filmed in Kekhman's Mikhailovsky Theater, St. P...with wild-crazy lighting effects. The jurors pontificate from theTsars Box. Vasiliev and skting coach Moskvina are the 'Simons'; skater Navka is the ditzy-pretty 'Carrie Ann' and Taranda is the 'looney Bruno' of the bunch. Emcee Ilze Liepa looks gorgeous! This was filmed in September, by the way, so it's not 'in real time,' like DWTS in the US.

Two highlights from the latest episode (week 5). Both of these routines received perfect scores:

Irina Perren (Mikhailovsky Ballet) & Peter Tchernichev in a duet by Duato:

A GORGEOUS Evgenia Obraztsova (Mariinsky Ballet) and Maxim Stavisky in 'Assasin's Tango' by Yuri Smekalov:

Enjoy!

I'm generally a lurker but I must post to admit I have been keeping track of this show on YT... makes me happy to see Evgenia getting a perfect score :D I wish I understood Russian... do they eliminate people or is it that the city with the team of the highest scores wins? I was thinking maybe it was a St. Petersburg v. Moscow thing but I don't understand anything so I could be totally wrong. I try to figure things out by reading comments and using google translator but obviously that isn't going so well...

This competition is positively mesmerizing. I missed it somehow, but am glad to have 'found' this thread today. I've been watching clip after clip in utter fascination. Osipova as we've never seen her before, performing to Christina Aguilera in "Burlesque" (she opens with a pole dance!)!

Julia Makhalina dancing so out-of-the-box. wink1.gif

Farouk, as team leader, looking strange in his dyed blonde, untamed hair. Perren, exquisitely beautiful, dancing so lyrically. I've saving Obraztsova for dessert. Thank you for posting this, Natalia! Going back for more...

It started as a Moscow (Yagudin/Kretova, Marinin/Somova, Kostomarov/Osipova, Shabalin/Krysanova) vs. St. Petersburg (Staviyski/Obratsova, Tikhonov/Arbusova, Tchernyshev/Perren, Vanagas/Makhalina) thing that later turned into couples.

I could barely get through ten full programs without going to the next. I could almost hear the SYTYCD contemporary choreographers explaining, "It's about a relationship where they try to get together again, but then are torn apart..." "It's about two portraits coming to life, but then are torn apart..." "It's about two people who keep crossing in the night, but are torn apart..."

I tended to like the comic ones, like these, because they required excellent timing:

Alexei Yagudin/Irina Perren

Maxim Marinin/Natalia Somova

The only serious dance I really liked was this by Marinin/Somova:

and this "free dance" wasn't impossible and had very intricate partnering:

Although his upper body was stiff like all of the male skaters, Marinin to me was most convincing as a dancer. Even when his form wasn't great and he was a bit stiff, like in one of the tangos, he had excellent timing. He was dancing with his wife, which I'm sure made them look like more of a couple, but that's a double-edged sword: when asked in a Q&A about what the difference was between dancing with her husband, Seth Orza, and other partners, Sarah Ricard Orza replied, "No filter."

Marinin, as one of the two pairs men -- Tikhonov was the other -- had to perfect an entirely different lift technique for this contemporary choreography, having had little practice in dance lift technique, apart from the "Cotton Club" program and some exhibitions he skated with Tatiana Totmianina. (Had this been classical ballet, his pairs lift technique, almost all overhead, would have come in handier.) In that sense, the ice dancers -- Vanagas, Tchernyshev, Kostamarov, Shabalina, and Staviyski -- had the distinct advantage, especially since all dance lifts are worked out on the floor before they are translated to ice, not to mention their extensive ballroom training and skating for the Ice Dance discipline. I thought they worked around Yagudin as a singles skater quite well, since he doesn't have general experience lifting or skating that close to anyone.