16 replies to this topic

#16 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

An item on the Royal Ballet's three British principals (scroll down).

http://www.thisislon...culture-club.do

The tall, coolly regal 30-year-old was promoted in 2008 along with Lauren Cuthbertson, 28, who had her breakthrough in the recent Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. They joined fellow Brit Edward Watson, 35, a principal since 2005. He brings a distinctive ethereal presence to his roles. He is associated with the ultramodern creations of choreographer Wayne McGregor and recently performed smeared in brown goo for an outré version of Kafka's The Metamorphosis. He reckons it should be enough to win him 'ginger freak of the year'.

There is great excitement that three Royal Ballet principals should be British. In a company that reflects London's multiculturalism, full of South Americans and East Europeans, it's a little like the pleasure that comes from an Englishman leading Manchester United's strike force. Not that the dancers set much store by nationality. 'I think it means more to other people than it does to us. I just hope I do my job well - it doesn't matter where I was born,' shrugs Watson.

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

A review of North Carolina Dance Theatre by Steven Brown in The Charlotte Observer.

http://www.charlotte...mic-choice.html

In William Forsythe's modern classic - the finale of N.C. Dance Theatre's "Director's Choice" - the dancers fling their limbs and propel their bodies as though each one of them is trying to command every square inch of space possible. Imagine that sleek steel sculptures could dance, and that may give you the idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):