This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

After Petipa

Just a reminder that Doug Fullington, sometime denizen of Ballet Alert, will be presenting his lecture-demonstration on the work of Marius Petipa and the changes that have been rung on some of that repertory next Thursday 20 October at 5:30 at the Phelps Center. I'm sure it will be a fascinating evening.

The best part about waiting until Helene has posted something about an event (here) is that I can just wave my hands enthusiastically and say "yes!!" I think we all understand that there has been a certain amount of adjustment over time as these canonical works have been staged and staged again, but I was gobsmacked at how much change there was even in a fairly short amount of time. The side by side Florines only represent a few years and a handful of different stagings (original to Sergeyev with the Royal Ballet, and then from the Royal to Ronald Hynd at ENB and then to PNB) but they were vastly different -- in timing, in vocabulary, in the level of virtuoso material -- it was astonishing.

Doug F said that they've been invited to do this program at the Guggenheim next spring, and it is likely to be web-broadcast (as their Giselle lec-dem was last year) I will keep a lookout for more information on that -- I am looking forward to seeing this presentation again, and think that many followers of this website would be fascinated by it.

There's Doug Fullington's "After Petipa" lecture demonstration at the Guggenheim Museum's Works & Process series in New York. The dates (May 15 and 16) are marked "Sold Out," but a Guggenheim staffer told me this evening that they'd just released a block of tickets. So New Yorkers, if you thought you'd missed your opportunity, there's a second chance.

Exactly which dancers will accompany Doug hasn't been announced. When Helene reviewed the program in October for Dance View Times, she listed the participants as

Doug Fullington with Christina Siemens (piano) and Batkhurel Bold, Karel Cruz, Kyle Davis, Rachel Foster, Carrie Imler, Kylee Kitchens, Carla Körbes, William Lin-Yee, Kaori Nakamura, Sarah Ricard Orza, Jonathan Porretta, Lucien Postlewaite, Lesley Raush, Brittany Reid, and Jerome Tisserand
Presumably, most of them will make the trip east. I hope so. There are several names on that list that I'm eager to see again.

There's Doug Fullington's "After Petipa" lecture demonstration at the Guggenheim Museum's Works & Process series in New York. The dates (May 15 and 16) are marked "Sold Out," but a Guggenheim staffer told me this evening that they'd just released a block of tickets. So New Yorkers, if you thought you'd missed your opportunity, there's a second chance.

I'm not positive, but there's a strong chance that this will be live-streamed, as they did with the Giselle lec-dem (and several others).

I'd put a bet -- but a small bet -- that it will be live-streamed, Sandi. This seems to be standard operating procedure for the W&P events. I tried to watch Sunday's stream -- or what remained of it -- after I returned from an early bite with friends, and I got no sound and only two or three static images. Nothing of value. I don't know whether the problem lies with UStream's bandwidth or (more likely blushing.gif ) the load in my browser cache, but others were making similar complaints in the chat box.

I was so hoping it would be web broadcast! I hope that happens--the Giselle "lec-dem" was thrilling, I've watched it twice all the way through.

It will be broadcast live this Sunday, May 13, and Monday, May 14 at 7:30pm EDT/4:30pm PDT. From the press release:

To watch the live broadcasts of these performances, visit www.ustream.tv/worksandprocess on Sunday, May 13 and/or Monday, May 14 at 7:30 pm EDT (4:30 pm Pacific). Follow the conversation on Twitter with @WorksandProcess and #WPlive. For more information, visit www.worksandprocess.org.

In addition to Korbes and Seth and Sarah Orza, James Moore, Jerome Tisserand, and Leta Biasucci will demonstrate. Those who saw the "Giselle" presentation will recognize James Moore, who performed in the "Peasant Pas de Deux" with Carrie Imler and as Hilarion. New Yorkers will be in for a treat seeing Tisserand and Biasucci for the first time in featured roles. (Tisserand performed in at least the Millipied when PNB performed at The Joyce a few years ago.)