This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Chuck AskegardFinal Performance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

Leigh, I am surprised you did not write about yesterday's performance by SAB or NYCB. I was looking forward to your commentary.

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

But I did - http://www.nypost.co...IkD1hhHX4dsaThP

The Post had only limited room (Stefanie Cohen did a companion interview) so it's a very tightly written piece.

#3 GianninaM

GianninaM

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:35 AM

Sob.

Giannina

#4 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:33 AM

The Post had only limited room (Stefanie Cohen did a companion interview) so it's a very tightly written piece.

Thank you. I don't know how I missed it. I must have been distracted by Stefanie's piece.

#5 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:47 AM

I was very intrigued by "Episodes." While I watched, I kept repeating to myself Balanchine's directive to "see the music." However, the dance did not reflect the danger expressed by the music. Several interpretations arise from this. One could conclude that black and white positions eliminate any threat. Alternatively, rigid, polar viewpoints may obscure danger. I remember being surprised by the music of the final movement, and would like to see the choreography of this movement again, to assess the resolution of the piece.

I did not expect to enjoy "Western Symphony," but found it more appealing than I anticipated, even though it is not my style. Did I see references to "Giselle" and "Sylvia" in the second movement, or am I seeing things?

"Diamonds", of course, was beautiful. I found Maria's extensions distracting, however. Are her legs supposed to create straight lines or circles in the air? I did not expect the curves or think that they fit the theme.

The seminar on Tchaikovsky was very informative. I particularly loved the discussion of and demonstration of "Serenade" and cannot wait to see it in full. Suki is a wonderful teacher.

#6 Eileen

Eileen

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

Thank you for posting this link.

#7 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

Lovely piece, Leigh.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,516 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Askegard will be performing with the Staten Island Ballet in its Nutcracker.

Founding director Ellen Tharp has booked guest artists on occasion, but she hadn’t considered trying to hire Askegard for the 2011 “Nutcracker,” Staten Island Ballet’s 18th. “It just happened,” she said last week.

The company’s regular cavalier, Vitaly Krauschenko, was unavailable. His Sugar Plum of the past few years, Miss Liceica (herself a former American Ballet Theatre soloist), knew Askegard and proposed him as a replacement.

#9 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

It might be worth pointing out that, like Askegard, Anna Liceica was a member of both ABT and NYCB. She, however, traveled in the opposite direction, starting her career at NYCB and moving to ABT, where her rank was elevated.

#10 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

the man has divorce lawyers to pay!

#11 BalletBrazil

BalletBrazil

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

It might be worth pointing out that, like Askegard, Anna Liceica was a member of both ABT and NYCB. She, however, traveled in the opposite direction, starting her career at NYCB and moving to ABT, where her rank was elevated.

Yep. I went to Sab with Anna. What a sweet girl. I always thought she had an ABT quality, same with Paloma.
BTW, my screen name is Thomas More but I am a girl.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):