This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Virginia Johnson of the San Francisco Ballet

I sadly report that Virginia Johnson, ballerina of the San Francisco Ballet, passed away on September 21, 2011. "Ginny" was one of the most talented and accomplished dancers trained by the Christensen brothers. She created the role of Cupid in Lew Christensen's popular comedy ballet Con Amore. She appeared as the Snow Queen partnered by David Coll for the premiere of the gorgeous 1967 Robert O'Hearn production of Lew Christensen's The Nutcracker. Ginny was one of my favorite company dancers when I was studying at SFB school. She could move like the wind with brilliant technical clarity. I loved that quality in her. When she retired from SFB, she became our Ballet Mistress staging and rehearsing many works for the company including our Balanchine repertory. She was one of the few people allowed to stage Mr. Christensen's ballets throughout the country. She shall be missed...

I sadly report that Virginia Johnson, ballerina of the San Francisco Ballet, passed away on September 21, 2011. "Ginny" was one of the most talented and accomplished dancers trained by the Christensen brothers. She created the role of Cupid in Lew Christensen's popular comedy ballet Con Amore. She appeared as the Snow Queen partnered by David Coll for the premiere of the gorgeous 1967 Robert O'Hearn production of Lew Christensen's The Nutcracker. Ginny was one of my favorite company dancers when I was studying at SFB school. She could move like the wind with brilliant technical clarity. I loved that quality in her. When she retired from SFB, she became our Ballet Mistress staging and rehearsing many works for the company including our Balanchine repertory. She was one of the few people allowed to stage Mr. Christensen's ballets throughout the country. She shall be missed...

I also danced at SF Ballet with "Ginny" and agree she was a dancer of great precision and style. I also danced the role of Cupid in "Con Amore" and Ginny was always very generous with her help and coaching of the role. Her work ethic and the demands she made on herself as an artist were always an inspiration for me. Sad news, indeed.

i never knew Virginia Johnson, but I saw some of her stagings of Lew Christensen's ballets and was very impressed. Oakland Ballet, in particular, did Christensen's "Jinx" surpassingly well in her staging --

San Francisco Ballet -In Memory of Virginia "Ginny" Johnson 2011

I saw Virginia Johnson dance twice only. Once in my country and some time years later here at Stanford during my residency. Each time she was amazing, as were most of the dancers. In the first, in my country, she was in terribly correct ballet costume and then at the Stanford performance she was in a ballet by Revueltas wearing fetchingly a snake suit with a surprising swedish dancer.