This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Balanchine Nutcracker on Live from Lincoln Center

Found this on my PBS schedule today.

Wednesday, December 14

Live from Lincoln Center returns to the New York City Ballet for "George Balanchine's The Nutcracker." This is the production that is the heart of New York City's year-end holiday season. From the moment the lights dim, you will be transported to a magical place filled with adorable children, marching toy soldiers, a glowing one-ton Christmas tree that seemingly grows forever, mischievous mice, crystalline waltzing snowflakes, the Land of Sweets and some of the most glorious dancing on earth.

http://proweb.myersi...1&air_id=266545

Interesting if true, and PBS scheds hold for all sites. Also would like to see this, since I never have, (I tend to avoid Nuts unless desperate) and it seems so iconic. However...didn't we just have SFB's Nutcracker on PBS a few years ago (2009/10)? Sure wish they would do something new... looking forward to MCB mixed Balanchine rep, and am hoping the glimpse I saw of what looked like SFB's "Little Mermaid" in the promo for the PBS Fall Arts Fest was a sign of things to come in 2012. Unfortunately, ballets are rarely or never posted in the PBS Pipeline listing that I peruse now and then.

Thanks for finding this. It's pretty interesting, since Peter Martins' NYCB already filmed The Nutcracker in the early 90s. On the other hand, Balanchine's Nutcracker has a long history on TV. It was shown not long after on TV with most of the original cast. Then there is the famous Playhouse 90 version with Diana Adams as Sugar Plum. Since then, the pas de deux or Sugar Plum varion was frequently shown on variety shows and in the past 20 years on holiday news programs. Very exciting. Hope the cast is strong.

Llike 4rmrdancer, my Googling has turned up nothing additional, including the websites of our two PBS stations. I DID find a reference to a showing of San Francisco Ballet's Little Mermaid on Dec. 16. It's part of Great Performances/ PBS Arts series.

We have our own Balanchine Nutcracker season down here, MCB's, but it would be nice to be able to watch some of the NYCB principals and soloists I read about so often on Ballet Alert.

I'm thrilled for this--Blanhine's version is probably my favorite of the traditional versions of the ballet, and I've never been satisfied with the film with Culkin for several reasons (and have never tracked down the original two telcastys mentioned above). Live from Lincoln Center productions can usually only be repeated once by each PBS, and not a get a DVD release, so I'll have to be sure to track this down--my PBS from Seattle tends to show their Lincoln Center stuff at times like 2:30 am, because they're too busy repeating Susan Ormon lectures and David Foster concerts in prime time... Sigh).

I'll have to be sure to track this down--my PBS from Seattle tends to show their Lincoln Center stuff at times like 2:30 am, because they're too busy repeating Susan Ormon lectures and David Foster concerts in prime time... Sigh).

Not to mention Alone in the Wilderness!

KCTS is running this on Tuesday 20 December at 8 pm, and re-running it on the 21st at 2:30 am (which is just later that same night)

I'll have to be sure to track this down--my PBS from Seattle tends to show their Lincoln Center stuff at times like 2:30 am, because they're too busy repeating Susan Ormon lectures and David Foster concerts in prime time... Sigh).

Not to mention Alone in the Wilderness!

KCTS is running this on Tuesday 20 December at 8 pm, and re-running it on the 21st at 2:30 am (which is just later that same night)

Ha, Alone in the Wilderness!

Thanks for the heads up! Oddly, KCTS is repeating San Fran Ballet's Nutcracker 12/4 at 3am (only!)