This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

DTH Archive Project

Have been reading through this blog about a project sponsored by the Dance Heritage Coalition to sort out DTH's archives, and they mention a new work by John Alleyne that is headed toward a re-launch of the company. Aside from that piece of news, the blog itself is fascinating, not so much for the specifics about DTH, but the challenges of managing records in the performing arts in general. Well worth looking at.

I'm not sure if this is related to the archives mentioned in the previous message, but in July 2013, DTH got a $49,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities to work on some preservation issues concerning their archives:

Dance Theatre of Harlem, Inc. Outright: $49,000 [sustaining Cultural Heritage Collections]

Project Director: Judy Tyrus

Project Title: Dance Theatre of Harlem Planning Grant for DTH Archival Preservation Plan

Project Description: The commissioning and delivery of a comprehensive preservation plan

that will assess and identify cost-effective, energy-efficient solutions for the optimal

preservation environment and conditions for on-site archival materials in the Everett Center

for the Performing Arts, which holds the Dance Theatre of Harlem's collections on the

history of modern dance in the United States. An additional $9,000 will support upgrades to

the current Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system and to the lighting.

The source document (listing all grants awarded by NEH in July 2013) is here: http://www.neh.gov/files/press-release/july2013statebystate.pdf

I believe this is an extension of the original work -- if you click on the blog link from the first posting, there's even more information about their work to secure their archives and preserve their materials -- the library aide in me is so excited for them!