This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Raymonda-1898 - premiere reports

doug

Lopatkina is very graceful and glides so beautifully. Alexandrova is very imperious during her variation, even when taking her bow. although she does smile for a moment. I love Alexandrova, have done so ever seen seeing her as the slave in Pharoah's Daughter. Where is her Raymonda available?

I ust admit I miss the loud slap. Perhaps I got used to it after having seen Balanchine's Grand Pas de Dix from Raymonda.

A great pity there is no film record of Fonteyn as Raymonda, no dancer I've ever seen has got within spitting distance of her in the role. Serene and regal, her radiant presence lit up the stage and yes, she did perform the dramatic handclap. The role was gifted to her late in her career and its therefore all the more remarkable that she became the definitive interpreter.

Dame Margot was tender, regal, glamourous and glittering.

Oh, I almost forgot to say she was unforgettable.

The tragedy of Dame Margot like many other significant dancers, was that the film camera did not quite love her like it did lesser mortals.