This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Baryshnikov's 1974 US debut

scan of newsphoto with caption backstage at the New York State Theater in '74 for Baryshnikov's US debut performance in GISELLE (with Makarova) at American Ballet Theatre.

the photographer, Dina Makarova (now, i believe, Makarov), still works with Natalia Makarova and probably has this photo's negative and prints filed away, but maybe not one with the wire service caption.

post-848-067537400 1317403154_thumb.jpg

NYPL has just annouced the acquisition of Baryshnikov's archives (of which i know nothing further) . . .

I can't find any information about this on the nypl.org site or from Googling. If true, it's great news for scholars and researchers of all kinds. It will be interesting to learn the contents of the collection, e.g., rehearsal tapes working with choreographers that we haven't seen before perhaps. If others see a formal announcement somewhere, please let us know. (It was widely reported that Baryshnikov finally closed on the sale of his estate in the Palisades, so perhaps this is part of his downsizing!)

It was a huge disappointment that Natalia Makarova donated her personal archives to the Mariinsky Museum. I can't find an on-line source for this at the moment, so I don't know how extensive the donation was. I can understand why she wants to return something to her homeland, but still...The Dance Collection at Lincoln Center is an extraordinary resource, with international access.

thanks for your heads-up, California.

i now realize that my information comes from an email about an up-coming reception about this acquisition so perhaps it's not yet public info. or for that matter a 'done deal.'

in that case, i will remove that aspect of my post and re-post when it's official.

thanks for your heads-up, California.

i now realize that my information comes from an email about an up-coming reception about this acquisition so perhaps it's not yet public info. or for that matter a 'done deal.'

in that case, i will remove that aspect of my post and re-post when it's official.

I appreciate the "heads-up" and will post something if I see it. This would be a major acquisition! Let's hope he's being very generous in clearing out his house! It's not just his stature as a dancer, but his extensive work with almost all the major choreographers of his era that would be such a gift to dance scholarship.