This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tatiana Akinfeva Smith

Tatiana Nikolievna Akinfieva Smith, 92, died Sept. 15 in Dover, DE. She had worked as a ballet instructor/choreographer/ artistic director for Ballet Met (Ohio), Delaware Regional Ballet, Eastern Shore Ballet Theater, and Diamond Dance Company and was associate director of Christopher Ballet Company in Columbus, Ohio. She also taught for Marion Tracey Dance Studio (DE), Salisbury Studio of Dance (MD), Diamond Dance Studio (MD), A Dance Class (MD), First State Academy of Dance (DE), and a host of other schools in Delaware, Maryland, and Ohio. Tatiana served as guest faculty at North Carolina School of the Arts. She was a soloist of the National Opera Theater in Yugoslavia where she performed for King Alexander. Tatiana retired in 2006 after a lifetime of dedication to dance.

Welcome Karen to Ballet Alert. I know you will enjoy the site.Thank you so much for posting the sad news about Tanja's passing.....I was her student in Cols. Ohio for several years before going out to California to study w/George Zoritch. She was a very strict, but wonderful teacher, and gave me most of my technical ballet base which was very similar to the great teacher in Paris, Madame Probraejenska. We were very close at one time, but after I left Ohio, we lost contact. I remember her w/great fondness. Would love to hear how you knew her. One could tell that she had been a great dancer in spite of all the political problems of her native country. She and her great wealth of knowledge will be sorely missed.