This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB dancers to perform at fund raiser?

SFB soloist Courtney Elizabeth posted a blog on the website about her work with an organization called Children of Uganda. According to this, they are trying to raise funding for a tour. Unfortunately, can't find anything on the Fort Mason website about them, but it would be a likely venue if the Children of Uganda group does come here on tour.

Sorry, that's all I could find, but if I (or anyone) should hear anything, it'll be posted here.

Yes, there is now a website

www.dancingforuganda.eventbrite.com

where you can order tickets and find out more about the benefit: "Dancing for Uganda" will take place on October 15 at Fort Mason Cowell Theater in San Francisco. Apparantly, the dancers cannot advertise who they are. So there's a benefit by an unnamed group with unnamed dancers - a PR nightmare.

I have it on good authority that Sarah van Patten will be one of the stars.

where you can order tickets and find out more about the benefit: "Dancing for Uganda" will take place on October 15 at Fort Mason Cowell Theater in San Francisco. Apparantly, the dancers cannot advertise who they are. So there's a benefit by an unnamed group with unnamed dancers - a PR nightmare.

I have heard these dancers include Sarah Van Patten, Pierre Vilanoba, Guennadi Nedviguine, Joan Boada, and Frances Chung. SFB is well represented in a good cause. I also heard the dancers are donating some of their personal items - signed shoes, etc - to the silent auction. Sounds like a great opportunity to mingle with some of SFB's finest.

As I understand it, the main co-ordinator for the event has been former SFB dancer Miriam Rowan, with big help from Courtney ELizabeth, Luke Willis, and the performers.

In The Bay Area Reporter, Roberto Friedman (arts editor) announced Wednesday that

'A group of professional ballet dancers has come together to support orphans and vulnerable children in Uganda, a nation hit hard by HIV/AIDS. The event will include two pas de deux by world-class dancers, a newly created film, a silent auction, and a wine and cheese reception. Dancing for Uganda, an evening of dance, film, and spirits, takes place this Sat., Oct. 15, 7 p.m. at the Cowell Theater, Fort Mason Center, SF.

'The performance will include renowned dancers Sarah Van Patten and Pierre-Francois Vilanoba in After the Rain, by choreographer Christopher Wheeldon; Frances Chung and Joan Boada in Chaconne for Piano and Two Dancers, by San Francisco Ballet artistic director Helgi Tomasson; a song by Nigerian singer and songwriter Nkechi; and a short film newly created by dancers and friends.

'All proceeds go to Children of Uganda's (COU) music and dance program, to support their upcoming Tour of Light in January 2012. COU serves hundreds of children, providing them with clothing, food, shelter, medical care, and education, including a strong program in traditional African music and dance. The Tour of Light, which has visited the US seven times in COU's 16 years, aims to raise awareness of the plight of orphaned children in Uganda today, while sharing African culture with American audiences. For tickets, go to: www.dancingforuganda.eventbrite.com.'

Fabulous dancers, wonderful program, worthy cause, I say.

I have heard these dancers include Sarah Van Patten, Pierre Vilanoba, Guennadi Nedviguine, Joan Boada, and Frances Chung. SFB is well represented in a good cause. I also heard the dancers are donating some of their personal items - signed shoes, etc - to the silent auction. Sounds like a great opportunity to mingle with some of SFB's finest.