This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Villella To Step Down from MCB

• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#271 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

"Unremarkable" seems a word chosen for dramatic impact more than for accuracy.

I am assuming on the basis of her career accomplishments, personality, contacts, and familiarity with the MCB repertory and with south Florida, that Ms. Lopez has many remarkable qualities that suit her for this job.

Edward Villella has had an amazing career and deserves the strongest admiration for what he achieved with MCB, a company that is his own personal creation as much as NYCB was Balanchine's. But the time has come for Villella to move on.

It's also time for his diehard fans, some of whom almost seem willing to see the company go down in flames rather than accept that Villella is not coming back, to start offering constructive support of the kind that will actually help the company Villella made..

We seem to have several threads all dealing with aspects of the MCB situation. For me, this particular thread has reached the end of its natural life, except perhaps as history. In the future, I'll be posting about these topics on the relatively new

Transitioning From Villella to Lopez in 2012-2013 thread

#272 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

The possibly universal acclaim of Liam Scarlett's "Viscera" in London last week (read the reviews everywhere) should be another testimonial to the vision of Edward Villella, the man who commissioned it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):