http://artsbeat.blog...allet/?ref=arts

#2 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

An astonishing headline. Glad to read that this will not occur until the end of the 2012-13 season. Plenty of time to organize a search. And to do the kind of thinking that allows one to develop an appreciation of a great dancer, nurturer of dancers, and maker of companies.

#3 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

Mr. Villella has been remarkable for the development of ballet in Florida. Wishing him much happiness in retirement and may those on the search committee find a new AD with integrity, a wide knowledge of ballet and schooling and the ability to raise much needed funds to continue the growth of MCB. :clapping:

#4 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

Agree entirely, vrsfanatic.

The Miami Herald article is here:
http://www.miamihera...ap-forward.html

Facebook comments by the dancers are already starting. It seems unexpected. Alex Wong's "Wow" may sum up the first reaction of surprise that many are feeling.

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,990 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:57 PM

I have to say that my immediate reaction to this can't be written here.

Suffice it to say,
:jawdrop:

#6 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

Helene, judging by your post, you had the same reaction I did! The ballet world will miss his direct leadership, but I hope that he will continue to be involved in an advisory capacity to many other companies around the world. Bravo for an amazing career!

#7 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:28 PM

Gulp!

Mr. Villella ... is leaving to continue other professional pursuits.

That'll be interesting, I think we can count on that. Whatever it is. More than once, people attending his pre-performance talks have asked him about putting them in a book. He usually says, No, I'll leave that to the writers. I think he likes movement.

And a year after he steps down, they're due back in Paris. Hmm...

#8 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

I am selfishly sad to hear of this transition, but wish Mr. Villella only the best of everything and surely trust his judgement. I'm thinking it is good thing that they are due back in Paris a year later as it will marshall the forces behind whomever his successor is.... It will help to have the excitement of Paris to buoy the troupe through the transition.

#9 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

:blink:

#10 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

The New York Times has a revealing story today about the departure of Edward Villella, making it clear that he was forced out:
http://www.nytimes.c...d.html?_r=1

The company’s board leadership called Mr. Villella’s departure a mutual decision. But although his age — 75 — suggests that retirement was not far off, Mr. Villella was forced out, according to recent interviews with his supporters on the board, friends and others familiar with the company.

#11 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

I guess the Times makes it "official." Thanks, California. Frankly, I'm glad this has finally gone public, so that a larger group of people -- including all of us who are fans of the dancers and the repertory, and admirers of Edward Villella -- will have a chance to provide our input as the new Board moves into the future.

#12 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

Ironic.
Balanchine did say, "Après moi, le Board." Why do these people think that a corporate model would work for an artistic venture?

#13 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

This is really sad to read today. I assumed Mr Villella wanted to depart on a high, after Paris, and find a new role as a stager or other responsibility, not quite so time consuming. MCB does tend to lose a lot of dancers, and I wonder if the financial instability mentioned in the article is part of the reason?

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

I didn't see this article in today's Times, it is likely for Monday's print edition.

I wonder if the financial instability mentioned in the article is part of the reason?

I think that's a fair guess. Going by the article it sounds as if it was a combination of money worries, concerns that the company was identified too closely with Villella, and an aging and powerful director not taking hints as to where the door was. Well, I remember reading the dancers Villella fired in the layoff got letters in the mail. C'est la vie.

He declined to draw a parallel between the end of his dancing and artistic director’s phases, only saying: “It’s really about the dancers. I wanted to make a company I would have liked to dance in.”

Very nice thing to say. It sounds as if he succeeded.

#15 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

My thoughts were in line with Jayne's... that Villella saw retirement coming and wanted to retire on the laurels of the Paris season....

So very juvenile on the board's part... Questions of authority? There's a question? The Executive Director works for the Artistic Director... end of story. Companies run into trouble very quickly otherwise. They didn't have to lose the authority of an artistic director to move toward building an endowment.

Forget the statue... the company was the legacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):