This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Hallberg Joining The Bolshoi; Will Continue to Appear w. ABT

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

Interesting news. I sincerely hope that Hallberg's integration will be a smooth and happy one. The Russian companies are perhaps the "hardest nuts to crack" insofar as foreigners (dancers from countries outside the old "Soviet orbit") being truly welcomed are concerned. The top Russian troops are among the LEAST globalized ballet companies on earth.

Alexander Vetrov is a Grigorovich acolyte & a very 'political' figure in the theater, which should help Hallberg's cause. If you're new at the Bolshoi, you want the "Grigorovichi" on your side.

#17 Ceeszi

Ceeszi

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

When was the last time that Zakharova danced in New York? Am I wrong or was it back in the Summer of 2005 when the Bolshoi did Don Quixote, The Pharaoh's Daughter, etc. It seems that she has been everywhere except New York!

#18 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

About Vetrov... What is the status of Metropolitan Classical Ballet in Arlington? I know that they were having financial difficulties, but is it safe to assume since he is now coaching Hallberg officially and co-artistic director at the Bolshoi his affiliation with MCBbis no more? I have not seen any notices but their website hasn't been updated since 2009

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

Fraildove, I'm not sure about the status of the company in Texas but Vetrov most likely resumed his affiliation with the Bolshoi around 2009, when Grigorovich returned in a senior capacity ("Ballet Master"), to oversee the re-staging of his ballets.

AFAIK, the company in Arlington, TX, still exists with Paul Mejia as AD (yes, the famous ex-NYCB dancer/choreographer married to Suzanne Farrell!). The web indicates that they presented a Nutcracker in Dec 2010.

#20 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

Congratulations to David Hallberg :flowers: :clapping:!

Natalia wrote:

Interesting news. I sincerely hope that Hallberg's integration will be a smooth and happy one. The Russian companies are perhaps the "hardest nuts to crack" insofar as foreigners (dancers from countries outside the old "Soviet orbit") being truly welcomed are concerned. The top Russian troops are among the LEAST globalized ballet companies on earth.

This is very true Natalia. For example, Xander (dubbed by the Russians 'Alexander') Parish left the Royal Ballet for the Mariinsky Ballet; and although his rank, accomplishments and international stature aren't comparable to Mr. Hallberg's, Parish seems to be marking time since his move to Petersburg. And this, even though Yuri Fateev personally invited him to join the Mariinsky.

Alexander Vetrov is a Grigorovich acolyte & a very 'political' figure in the theater, which should help Hallberg's cause. If you're new at the Bolshoi, you want the "Grigorovichi" on your side.

Alexander Vetrov has survived many storms, ADs and General Directors at the Bolshoi. He made his career during Grigorovich's tenure, so it's excellent for Hallberg that he will be working with him.

#21 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

My guess is that Hallberg will simply remain a principal at ABT, not become a guest principal. He'll just have a curtailed schedule.

#22 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:08 PM

My guess is that Hallberg will simply remain a principal at ABT, not become a guest principal. He'll just have a curtailed schedule.

According to this story on the ABC News site, he will remain a principal with ABT as well:
http://abcnews.go.co...ballet-14576038

David Hallberg, who will also remain a principal with the New York-based American Ballet Theater. . .

Of course, the reporter might not have been attuned to the precision we're looking for on this issue!

#23 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

It's marvelous to see a front-page ballet story -- accompanied by a large, attractive ballet photo -- on the front page of the NY Times.

I suppose. But I feel like the article will only reinforce the view of ABT's detractors that ABT is not a real company and, instead, is just a collection of itinerant stars whose members gather on occasion in New York and try to cohere as a unit. With Hallberg off to Russia, Steifel and Murphy off to New Zealand and Corella and Cornejo spending considerable time in Spain, I'm beginning to relate to the detractors' viewpoint.

#24 BocaBallerina

BocaBallerina

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:58 PM

Kevin McKenzie can't be happy. Hallberg dancing with ABT less, Murphy having strong ties to New Zealand Ballet, Correno retired. Could be an interesting time for ABT

I actually think that this is a great opportunity for Kevin McKenzie to reach out to his soloists and senior corps de ballet dancers and give them an opportunity to move up within the company. ABT does not change dancer's rankings to often and this may give some of the senior soloists a cahnce to bump up and explore Principal roles. I like to see this as more of an opportunity than a loss, although ABT is definitely losing some amazing dancers.

#25 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

Kevin McKenzie can't be happy. Hallberg dancing with ABT less, Murphy having strong ties to New Zealand Ballet, Correno retired. Could be an interesting time for ABT

I actually think that this is a great opportunity for Kevin McKenzie to reach out to his soloists and senior corps de ballet dancers and give them an opportunity to move up within the company. ABT does not change dancer's rankings to often and this may give some of the senior soloists a cahnce to bump up and explore Principal roles. I like to see this as more of an opportunity than a loss, although ABT is definitely losing some amazing dancers.

I agree with you but I'm not hopeful. The same "opportunity" existed during the Spring-Summer season when so many principals went down with injuries or just plain flaked out (Steifel). And yet, McKenzie didn't avail himself of it.

Sigh. Marcelo will have to be like Atlas and carry the weight of the "company" on his shoulders.

#26 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

I agree with you but I'm not hopeful. The same "opportunity" existed during the Spring-Summer season when so many principals went down with injuries or just plain flaked out (Steifel). And yet, McKenzie didn't avail himself of it.

Sigh. Marcelo will have to be like Atlas and carry the weight of the "company" on his shoulders.

I feel bad for Marcelo b/c of the pressure this situation puts him in from a yearly perspective as he's the only male principal on the roster solely committed to ABT now with the full repertoire, it'll be interesting to see how the situation is handled. I'm thinking that it there will be any promotions for 2011-2012 they will happen after fall and the Nutcracker...many of us hoped that some announcement would come at the end of the MET season especially with what happened this year...but no news at all. Personally, I hope Kevin is mindful of the time needed to prep dancers for the transition, but I'm not the most optimistic. I'm waiting to see what ABT's reaction is...has there been an official announcement/statement from them yet?

#27 Stecyk

Stecyk

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:25 AM

National Public Radio NPR has a six minute podcast and transcript:

Hallberg Talks About Joining The Bolshoi Ballet

#28 Stecyk

Stecyk

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:46 AM

The Bolshoi Ballet picks up an American accent

By RIA Novosti commentator Olga Sobolevskaya

For decades, ballet stars from Russia and the former Soviet Union have been joining Western companies as fully-fledged members. But the idea of a Western dancer becoming part of a Russian troupe is unheard of - until now.

Moscow's Bolshoi Theater has broken new ground by inviting David Hallberg, of the American Ballet Theater (ABT), to be a guest dancer for the upcoming performing season. The Bolshoi's new season kicks off at the end of October, with the reopening of its historical building, following a lengthy renovation.

#29 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hallberg and Zakharova will star in the Bolshoi Sleeping Beauty Nov 20

Part of the Ballet in Cinema series

http://www.balletinc...beauty-bolshoi/

#30 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

There are some Russian TV news segments on Hallberg joining the Bolshoi:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):