This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hallberg Joining The Bolshoi; Will Continue to Appear w. ABT

An expanded story just appeared on the NY Times site:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/21/arts/dance/american-to-join-the-bolshoi-ballet.html?hp

Among other tidbits, it says he will appear at the ABT-Met season. But as the Bolshoi will be touring North America at roughly the same time, I wonder where he will appear? (Toronto-May 15-19; Kennedy Center-May 29-June 3; Los Angeles-June 7-10 have announced Bolshoi engagements, so far. Those seem to be dates included in the ABT-Met season.)

There are a lot of excellent ballet dancers on this planet. ABT has a reputation of being one of the best ballet companies in the world, with one short season, one long season, and a "Nutcracker" run, not to mention touring. The dancers are among the best-compensated (including benefits) outside the state-run institutions with substantial pensions, and the company still has a lot of prestige, despite our grousing.

Ananiashvili's and Careno's retirement and Stiefel's and Corella's transition from dancing into artistic directorship, for that matter, were hardly unexpected; it was just a matter of the exact timing. It was only a matter of time before the street went two ways, and considering Hallberg's partnership with Osipova at ABT, and his style, that he'd be the one invited.

This is a tremendous opportunity for an Artistic Director with foresight and imagination.

This is a tremendous opportunity for an Artistic Director with foresight and imagination.

I think you've just said it all . . . and not to Kevin McKenzie's credit! :wink:

HAHA! so much truth in this statement.

I'm really excited for David, and I feel like he's pursuing this move mainly for the growth that he'll get as an artist dancing with the Bolshoi. I'm sad that we'll be seeing less of him in the states, but that will make his performances that much better...While the news is/was surprising in its timing BUT the fact that this is happening for David is not only incredible but almost expected.

On another note, I'm surprised that fall is right around the corner and there hasn't been movement in the ABT roster...I really wonder how Kevin will tackle this going forward since the gaping holes are starting to become bigger and more apparent

So, does this mean that the Bolshoi will be his home base and he'll be a guest artist at ABT or does he maintain the title of principal at the Met?

Best guess is that when he appears with ABT his name will be in the principal roster with an asterisk like Osipova, Cojocaru etc. When he is not appearing his name will not be list.

Interesting decision on his part. I wish him well. I'm not a fan of Russian companies or dancers (for the most part) but I hope he gets what he's looking for.

I must have dozed off. I dreamed I heard that David Hallberg joined the Bolshoi and will, from here on out, give only a limited number of performances with ABT.

What? It wasn't a dream? :wallbash:

At the moment I begrudge both David and the Bolshoi their mutual good fortune. In time, I'll get over it and will wish them both well.

This is absolutely awesome for David!

I missed him last time he was touring with ABT in Canada, and I don't get to see any ABT dancer at all except Youtube. Now I think I might have a chance to see him live through Bolshoi's live broadcast in cinemas :thumbsup:

Oooo! Good point about the Bolshoi cinema broadcasts. This makes me even more excited (for solely selfish reasons)

It's marvelous to see a front-page ballet story -- accompanied by a large, attractive ballet photo -- on the front page of the NY Times.

Two small details in the article were intriguing:

1) He will dance with Osipova and also with Zakharova.

2) He has already been assigned to a personal coach: Alexander Vetrov, "who has worked in America and speaks English."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/21/arts/dance/american-to-join-the-bolshoi-ballet.html?_r=1&ref=arts

Interesting news. I sincerely hope that Hallberg's integration will be a smooth and happy one. The Russian companies are perhaps the "hardest nuts to crack" insofar as foreigners (dancers from countries outside the old "Soviet orbit") being truly welcomed are concerned. The top Russian troops are among the LEAST globalized ballet companies on earth.

Alexander Vetrov is a Grigorovich acolyte & a very 'political' figure in the theater, which should help Hallberg's cause. If you're new at the Bolshoi, you want the "Grigorovichi" on your side.

About Vetrov... What is the status of Metropolitan Classical Ballet in Arlington? I know that they were having financial difficulties, but is it safe to assume since he is now coaching Hallberg officially and co-artistic director at the Bolshoi his affiliation with MCBbis no more? I have not seen any notices but their website hasn't been updated since 2009

Fraildove, I'm not sure about the status of the company in Texas but Vetrov most likely resumed his affiliation with the Bolshoi around 2009, when Grigorovich returned in a senior capacity ("Ballet Master"), to oversee the re-staging of his ballets.

AFAIK, the company in Arlington, TX, still exists with Paul Mejia as AD (yes, the famous ex-NYCB dancer/choreographer married to Suzanne Farrell!). The web indicates that they presented a Nutcracker in Dec 2010.

Congratulations to David Hallberg :flowers::clapping:!

Natalia wrote:

Interesting news. I sincerely hope that Hallberg's integration will be a smooth and happy one. The Russian companies are perhaps the "hardest nuts to crack" insofar as foreigners (dancers from countries outside the old "Soviet orbit") being truly welcomed are concerned. The top Russian troops are among the LEAST globalized ballet companies on earth.

This is very true Natalia. For example, Xander (dubbed by the Russians 'Alexander') Parish left the Royal Ballet for the Mariinsky Ballet; and although his rank, accomplishments and international stature aren't comparable to Mr. Hallberg's, Parish seems to be marking time since his move to Petersburg. And this, even though Yuri Fateev personally invited him to join the Mariinsky.

Alexander Vetrov is a Grigorovich acolyte & a very 'political' figure in the theater, which should help Hallberg's cause. If you're new at the Bolshoi, you want the "Grigorovichi" on your side.

Alexander Vetrov has survived many storms, ADs and General Directors at the Bolshoi. He made his career during Grigorovich's tenure, so it's excellent for Hallberg that he will be working with him.

My guess is that Hallberg will simply remain a principal at ABT, not become a guest principal. He'll just have a curtailed schedule.

According to this story on the ABC News site, he will remain a principal with ABT as well:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/american-dancer-joins-famed-bolshoi-ballet-14576038

David Hallberg, who will also remain a principal with the New York-based American Ballet Theater. . .

Of course, the reporter might not have been attuned to the precision we're looking for on this issue!

It's marvelous to see a front-page ballet story -- accompanied by a large, attractive ballet photo -- on the front page of the NY Times.

I suppose. But I feel like the article will only reinforce the view of ABT's detractors that ABT is not a real company and, instead, is just a collection of itinerant stars whose members gather on occasion in New York and try to cohere as a unit. With Hallberg off to Russia, Steifel and Murphy off to New Zealand and Corella and Cornejo spending considerable time in Spain, I'm beginning to relate to the detractors' viewpoint.

Kevin McKenzie can't be happy. Hallberg dancing with ABT less, Murphy having strong ties to New Zealand Ballet, Correno retired. Could be an interesting time for ABT

I actually think that this is a great opportunity for Kevin McKenzie to reach out to his soloists and senior corps de ballet dancers and give them an opportunity to move up within the company. ABT does not change dancer's rankings to often and this may give some of the senior soloists a cahnce to bump up and explore Principal roles. I like to see this as more of an opportunity than a loss, although ABT is definitely losing some amazing dancers.

Kevin McKenzie can't be happy. Hallberg dancing with ABT less, Murphy having strong ties to New Zealand Ballet, Correno retired. Could be an interesting time for ABT

I actually think that this is a great opportunity for Kevin McKenzie to reach out to his soloists and senior corps de ballet dancers and give them an opportunity to move up within the company. ABT does not change dancer's rankings to often and this may give some of the senior soloists a cahnce to bump up and explore Principal roles. I like to see this as more of an opportunity than a loss, although ABT is definitely losing some amazing dancers.

I agree with you but I'm not hopeful. The same "opportunity" existed during the Spring-Summer season when so many principals went down with injuries or just plain flaked out (Steifel). And yet, McKenzie didn't avail himself of it.

Sigh. Marcelo will have to be like Atlas and carry the weight of the "company" on his shoulders.