This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Hallberg Joining The Bolshoi; Will Continue to Appear w. ABT

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:26 AM

From the NY Times:

http://artsbeat.blog...lshoi/?ref=arts

Sounds like we will be seeing Hallberg at ABT during the MET seasons, but not necessarily during other ABT engagements.

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

This is huge! Congratulations to Hallberg :flowers:

#3 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:06 AM

An expanded story just appeared on the NY Times site:
http://www.nytimes.c...-ballet.html?hp

Among other tidbits, it says he will appear at the ABT-Met season. But as the Bolshoi will be touring North America at roughly the same time, I wonder where he will appear? (Toronto-May 15-19; Kennedy Center-May 29-June 3; Los Angeles-June 7-10 have announced Bolshoi engagements, so far. Those seem to be dates included in the ABT-Met season.)

#4 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

Kevin McKenzie can't be happy. Hallberg dancing with ABT less, Murphy having strong ties to New Zealand Ballet, Correno retired. Could be an interesting time for ABT

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,403 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

There are a lot of excellent ballet dancers on this planet. ABT has a reputation of being one of the best ballet companies in the world, with one short season, one long season, and a "Nutcracker" run, not to mention touring. The dancers are among the best-compensated (including benefits) outside the state-run institutions with substantial pensions, and the company still has a lot of prestige, despite our grousing.

Ananiashvili's and Careno's retirement and Stiefel's and Corella's transition from dancing into artistic directorship, for that matter, were hardly unexpected; it was just a matter of the exact timing. It was only a matter of time before the street went two ways, and considering Hallberg's partnership with Osipova at ABT, and his style, that he'd be the one invited.

This is a tremendous opportunity for an Artistic Director with foresight and imagination.

#6 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

This is a tremendous opportunity for an Artistic Director with foresight and imagination.

I think you've just said it all . . . and not to Kevin McKenzie's credit! :wink:

#7 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

I think you've just said it all . . . and not to Kevin McKenzie's credit! :wink:

HAHA! so much truth in this statement.
I'm really excited for David, and I feel like he's pursuing this move mainly for the growth that he'll get as an artist dancing with the Bolshoi. I'm sad that we'll be seeing less of him in the states, but that will make his performances that much better...While the news is/was surprising in its timing BUT the fact that this is happening for David is not only incredible but almost expected.

On another note, I'm surprised that fall is right around the corner and there hasn't been movement in the ABT roster...I really wonder how Kevin will tackle this going forward since the gaping holes are starting to become bigger and more apparent

#8 Tapfan

Tapfan

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:58 PM

So, does this mean that the Bolshoi will be his home base and he'll be a guest artist at ABT or does he maintain the title of principal at the Met?

#9 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

So, does this mean that the Bolshoi will be his home base and he'll be a guest artist at ABT or does he maintain the title of principal at the Met?

Best guess is that when he appears with ABT his name will be in the principal roster with an asterisk like Osipova, Cojocaru etc. When he is not appearing his name will not be list.

Interesting decision on his part. I wish him well. I'm not a fan of Russian companies or dancers (for the most part) but I hope he gets what he's looking for.

#10 little-junkie

little-junkie

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

This is absolutely awesome for David!
I missed him last time he was touring with ABT in Canada, and I don't get to see any ABT dancer at all except Youtube. Now I think I might have a chance to see him live through Bolshoi's live broadcast in cinemas :thumbsup:

#11 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

I must have dozed off. I dreamed I heard that David Hallberg joined the Bolshoi and will, from here on out, give only a limited number of performances with ABT.

What? It wasn't a dream? :wallbash:

At the moment I begrudge both David and the Bolshoi their mutual good fortune. In time, I'll get over it and will wish them both well.

#12 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

Kevin McKenzie can't be happy. Hallberg dancing with ABT less, Murphy having strong ties to New Zealand Ballet, Correno retired. Could be an interesting time for ABT

Another"defector" is Meaghan Hinkis, a corp member , who has joined the Royal Ballet.

#13 spinning2night

spinning2night

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

This is absolutely awesome for David!
I missed him last time he was touring with ABT in Canada, and I don't get to see any ABT dancer at all except Youtube. Now I think I might have a chance to see him live through Bolshoi's live broadcast in cinemas :thumbsup:

Oooo! Good point about the Bolshoi cinema broadcasts. This makes me even more excited (for solely selfish reasons)

#14 Balanchinomane

Balanchinomane

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:20 AM

Congratulations, David!

From the Bolshoi roster: (hope this works)

http://translate.goo...D0zATyesx5idg1A

#15 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:04 AM

It's marvelous to see a front-page ballet story -- accompanied by a large, attractive ballet photo -- on the front page of the NY Times.

Two small details in the article were intriguing:

1) He will dance with Osipova and also with Zakharova.

2) He has already been assigned to a personal coach: Alexander Vetrov, "who has worked in America and speaks English."

http://www.nytimes.c...l?_r=1&ref=arts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):