This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Principal DancersDescribe the Progression of a Principal Dancer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 chiapuris

chiapuris

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

Well, if Filin is taking requests can I give a huge nod to Evgenia Obraztsova?

Ditto Fraildove, ditto.

#17 Cordelia

Cordelia

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

Well, if Filin is taking requests can I give a huge nod to Evgenia Obraztsova? If the Bolshoi stole this beautiful but sadly non promoted dancer from the Mariinsky, then the Bolshoi would essentially be, without question, the greatest company in Russia. And in my opinion, Europe and America. I know it's off topic, but I had to throw that in!

Bolshoi's website is not designed very well, it's not user friendly. I just checked on list of principals, finally Chudin and Hallberg are on that list. But I noticed Obraztsova is listed under Guest Stars without further information. After more digging, it says that she is scheduled to dance Kitri on October 16, a day after Osipova dances the role.

Maybe Obraztsova's dancing might not fit in well with Bolshoi as regular principal there. Her style is too refined or ethereal for the Bolshoi even as her technique is stellar. She would stick out like a sore thumb compared to likes of Osipova and Alexandrova. On the other hand, she's shown herself to be great in dramatic roles so it might work. I just think her style is so representative of pure Vaganova schooling that it would be a shame for her to leave.

#18 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

THe main qualification for a principal dancer is that they should never do anything that makes you want to look away. They need to be able to get and keep your attention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):