This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"BALLET-OOP" (1954) - UPA CartoonDirected by Robert Cannon.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,266 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:57 AM

I was sent this this morning by a friend. I'm sure many of you will enjoy it as much as I did...! :thumbsup:

Directed by Robert Cannon. Written by T. Hee & Robert Cannon. Animated by Bill Melendez, Tom McDonald, Frank Smith. Music by George Bruns. Released February 11, 1954.

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

somebody was having fun - Written by T. Hee??? :)

also note the producer's name, Stephen Bosustow, which last name was also the last name of
Margot Fonteyn's first ballet teacher, Miss Grace Bosustow.

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Thornton Hee was the nom de plume of Alex Campbell, an animator who worked for Warner, Disney, Terry and UPA. He was one of the animators of "Dance of the Hours" in Fantasia.

#4 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

This is just charming -- thanks so much for posting it here.

Miss Placement.

#5 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,266 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:28 PM

This is just charming -- thanks so much for posting it here.

Miss Placement.

:tiphat:

#6 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:04 AM

Thornton Hee was the nom de plume of Alex Campbell, an animator who worked for Warner, Disney, Terry and UPA. He was one of the animators of "Dance of the Hours" in Fantasia.

He had to be winking when he chose it! :)

I didn't know there was something called Disney Wiki, but this is what it says about him:

Thornton Hee, better known to his colleagues as T. (Tee) Hee, was a caricaturist and story man at the Disney studio. He was infamous for his corpulence; Chuck Jones once referred to him as a 'hot water bottle full of jell-o'. Hee's physique made him a suitable performance model for Stromboli, the puppet master in Pinocchio, a film Hee also worked on as a writer.

#7 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:47 AM

Ballet-OOP is delightful. The distance, aesthetically and in terms of cultural allusion, from 1954 to today is mind-boggling.

Very hard-working teacher and students. I hope they use some of the tuition money from all the the new students to replace that knotty pine plank floor in the studio. Ouch.

#8 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

:thanks:
Ms. D. Lightful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):