This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT-MET 2012

i have a quick question for those of you who are in the NYC area and get to watch ABT on their "home stage"...

some of my friends and I are planning on visiting NYC this summer to catch up with some friends who are currently in the city. we briefly discussed that maybe we'd do a "girls night" with ballet and dinner, but since we wouldn't really be able commit to anything until pretty late (if not the week of). What performance times/days, regardless of the actual program, would get us the bargain (seat and price-wise)? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Single tickets go on sale April 1. You don't see this until you work through the purchase-subscription-single-ticket clicks. E.g.: http://www.metoperaf...n.aspx?id=11896

I understand that if you buy a subscription, you can buy additional single tickets now, but you can only pick a section, not a specific seat.

Thanks! I swore off subscriptions and blind buys; am going to take my chances again this year and wait until I can see what seats I am actually buying.

Single tickets go on sale April 1. You don't see this until you work through the purchase-subscription-single-ticket clicks. E.g.: http://www.metoperaf...n.aspx?id=11896

I understand that if you buy a subscription, you can buy additional single tickets now, but you can only pick a section, not a specific seat.

Thanks! I swore off subscriptions and blind buys; am going to take my chances again this year and wait until I can see what seats I am actually buying.

I'm doing exactly the same thing. Tired of sitting in fifth row Orchestra with four big heads in front of me while first or second row suddenly open up at the last minute.

I'm doing exactly the same thing. Tired of sitting in fifth row Orchestra with four big heads in front of me while first or second row suddenly open up at the last minute.

For the last couple of years, for the first hour or two on that big day (April 1 this year), you can't pick individual seats, but only sections. I assume that's because the site is overwhelmed. But then the seat selection feature comes back and you can pick your own seat. The same thing happened last month when single tickets went on sale for San Francisco Ballet. But it has been worth the wait in both cases to see what's available and pick your own seats.

For the last couple of years, for the first hour or two on that big day (April 1 this year), you can't pick individual seats, but only sections. I assume that's because the site is overwhelmed. But then the seat selection feature comes back and you can pick your own seat. The same thing happened last month when single tickets went on sale for San Francisco Ballet. But it has been worth the wait in both cases to see what's available and pick your own seats.

Oh, this is so helpful to know. Thank you, California, I never would have guessed!

Just a note that a friend received the color brochure for the upcoming Spring/Summer ABT season and noted that on the roster of principals with headshots, Maxim Beloserkovsky's picture was no longer there. Irina yes, Max no. Max is still listed as a principal on the website. Max is dancing one "Apollo" and then is gone for the remainder of the season while his wife tries out several new partners in their usual ballets. I wonder if both Max and Ethan are retiring at the end of the Met 2012 Spring/Summer season?

I would guess his retirement is imminent, but ABT may keep him on the payroll as long as they need to in order to secure Irina continuing with the company. So I also wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't retiring and just hangs on like Steifel has been doing for the last few years.

What do you mean? Are you saying it is better to wait a few hours on April 1 and then purchase or you pick a section and then it lets you go back later and choose your seat?

What do you mean? Are you saying it is better to wait a few hours on April 1 and then purchase or you pick a section and then it lets you go back later and choose your seat?

Sorry I wasn't clear. Of course, this might be different in 2012, but the past couple of years, if you log in on-line right when the box office opens, you could only buy a seat in a certain section (orchestra, first tier, whatever) and then you were stuck with whatever seat they sent you later. I'm not aware of any way to go back later and specify the seat for the section you bought. That transaction is done.

An hour or two after the box office opens, the seat-selection feature comes on and you can pick the actual seat you want and buy that. It seems that the section-selection feature is less site-intensive than seat-selection and that the site is overwhelmed with people trying to buy for the first hour or two.

I just kept logging back in until I could get seat-selection and that happened an hour or two after the box office opened. The Met and San Francisco seem to be using roughly the same software for on-line seat purchase and the same thing has happened the first day single tickets go on sale.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Of course, this might be different in 2012, but the past couple of years, if you log in on-line right when the box office opens, you could only buy a seat in a certain section (orchestra, first tier, whatever) and then you were stuck with whatever seat they sent you later. I'm not aware of any way to go back later and specify the seat for the section you bought. That transaction is done.

An hour or two after the box office opens, the seat-selection feature comes on and you can pick the actual seat you want and buy that. It seems that the section-selection feature is less site-intensive than seat-selection and that the site is overwhelmed with people trying to buy for the first hour or two.

I just kept logging back in until I could get seat-selection and that happened an hour or two after the box office opened. The Met and San Francisco seem to be using roughly the same software for on-line seat purchase and the same thing has happened the first day single tickets go on sale.

Thanks so much for the tip!!!!! This is great info!

I just noticed inconsistent announcements of casting for the Swan Lake on June 26.

The ABT Calendar says Vishneva:

http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=6/1/2012

The Ardani Management site says Semionova:

http://www.ardani.com/tours-semionova.php

June 26 would be Vishneva's only Swan Lake, while Semionova is also listed on both sites for June 29.

Ardani manages both, but doesn't have a separate "tour" list for Vishneva. Does anybody know which listing is correct?

I just noticed inconsistent announcements of casting for the Swan Lake on June 26.

The ABT Calendar says Vishneva:

http://www.abt.org/c...rtdate=6/1/2012

The Ardani Management site says Semionova:

http://www.ardani.co...s-semionova.php

June 26 would be Vishneva's only Swan Lake, while Semionova is also listed on both sites for June 29.

Ardani manages both, but doesn't have a separate "tour" list for Vishneva. Does anybody know which listing is correct?

Visneva has her own website and I've found her calendar to be extremely reliable. It doesn't show any ABT Swan Lakes, so I bet it will be Semionova:

http://www.vishneva.ru/eng/perform.php

Here's another change. In the subscription brochure, Stiefel was slated to partner Murphy at the June 27 Swan Lake. Now her partner will be Gomes:

http://www.abt.org/c...rtdate=6/1/2012

That's unfortunate...if an extra Gomes performance is to be spread around (even though it appears like Steifel is the issue) I wish it would go to poor Veronika who needs him...what an opening SL night couple they would be. I also don't like the idea of Myrtha being removed from her rep; it is, as Classic_Ballet said, one of her best roles.