This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Merrill Brockway Donating Videotapes

A great article in the NYTimes about Merrill Brockway, nearing 89, who was the producer and director of "Dance in America" during the 70's and 80's. The article mentions that he published a memoir, which I hadn't heard about, and that he is now directing his activities to education in the arts, in his new home in New Mexico.

He is working with former NYCB dancer, Catherine Oppenheimer: She is the founder of NDI (National Dance Institute) New Mexico, and New Mexico School of the arts.

Last spring Mr. Brockway, 88, published a memoir, Surprise Was My Teacher (Sunstone Press), which details his career during a golden age of television and his collaborations with dancers like Graham, Balanchine, Merce Cunningham and Twyla Tharp. He was also allowed to donate the archive to the National Dance Institute of New Mexico for educational purposes.

The article can be found here.

Last spring Mr. Brockway, 88, published a memoir, “Surprise Was My Teacher” (Sunstone Press), which details his career during a golden age of television and his collaborations with dancers like Graham, Balanchine, Merce Cunningham and Twyla Tharp. He was also allowed to donate the archive to the National Dance Institute of New Mexico for educational purposes.

The article can be found here.

Interesting -- if he was "allowed" to donate his videotapes to a non-profit organization for educational purposes, don't you think that other educational institutions should be able to purchase them (for cost, if that's the rub)? I can understand not selling them commercially, but it would be fabulous if dance departments could buy replacements for their ageing taped-off-air-but-we-only-use-it-for-classroom-showings-so-it's-ok-under-Fair-Use tapes.

ps - the link is wonky right now