8 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:21 AM

David Gordon says his remake of "Suspiria" will no longer have a ballet or dance element in the story.

“I was actually going to make ‘Suspiria’ with Natalie [Portman] a few years ago,” Green said, “but ended up pushing it to do ‘Your Highness,’ and once she stepped into ‘Black Swan’ it definitely made me not want to do what I originally had in mind; I didn’t want to make the Natalie version anymore. So I re-envisioned it.”

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

Alberta Ballet prepares a new "Swan Lake."

But it's precisely that "more or less," hodgepodge approach to mounting the ballet in recent decades that has always been a bugbear for acclaimed American choreographer, Kirk Peterson.

So now Peterson, known to Alberta Ballet fans for two previous full-length works created and premiered in Calgary (Othello and The Sleeping Beauty) is gonna do something about it - by choreographing a new Swan Lake for the company. Or should we say, an "old" Swan Lake?

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:27 AM

Washington Ballet spotlights Twyla Tharp. Item in brief.

With former American Ballet Theatre soloist and Twyla Tharp expert Elaine Kudo as its new ballet master, the Washington Ballet ’s all-Tharp series ought to be especially polished.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Q&A with Twyla Tharp.

Q: You like to keep working. What's coming next?
A: Next is a full-length narrative to Schubert for the Atlanta and the Royal Winnipeg ballets. It's from George MacDonald, the Victorian fairy tale writer: "The Princess and the Goblin." (This) week, I'm going to Chicago to do a piece for Hubbard Street Dance.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

A feature on the finalists of this year's 'So You Think You Can Dance Canada.'

But the money is on a woman winning this season. All three are strong classical technicians with versatility to boot and beauty to burn.

"We all (the women) come from ballet studios," Leuschner said. "The competition has been hard on our bodies. We don't have time for the daily (ballet) class we are used to. So we try to feed our bodies the right food and drink. And I try to do a little ballet barre backstage when I can."

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

A preview of the fall season in dance by Iris Fanger in The Patriot Ledger.

Mikko Nissinen is celebrating his 10th anniversary as artistic director of the Boston Ballet. A trio of notable contemporary choreographers (Trisha Brown, Aszure Barton and Martha Clarke) who seldom travel north of New York are scheduled to dance on Boston stages this fall.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

A preview of Ballet Arizona's new season by Richard Nilsen in The Arizona Republic.

Under Artistic Director Ib Andersen, Ballet Arizona has become one of the best ballet companies in the country, with national recognition. You can expect the best in performance, choreography and programming.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Tallahassee Ballet performs this weekend.

"This was a time when contemporary ballet was still building and creating new repertory," McCullough said. "Contemporary ballet was still very new."

"Bachianas Brasileiras" jumped to mind when McCullough began putting together the program for The Tallahassee Ballet's annual "An Evening of Music & Dance" concert. This year's edition is called "Tango in Ragtime," which combines North American and South American music, and runs through the weekend at Opperman Music Hall.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,045 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

The Louisville Ballet revives Andre Prokovsky's 'The Three Musketeers.'

http://www.courier-j...ell|text|Home|p

Simpson said recently that preparing for the Louisville Ballet’s performances of “The Three Musketeers,” which opens Friday, has had him thinking about the master who was born of Russian parents in Paris in 1939, but traveled the world throughout his career.

“Whenever you talked to Andre, there was this world view,” Simpson said. “But one of the reasons I admire him so much is there are very, very few choreographers who do story ballets very well.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):