• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

Yes, Anne Hathaway sang during the Streep segment! I also agree that Glenn Close had the weakest voice - how could she compare to Rebecca Luker or Kelli O'Hara or omg Audra McDonald? But I think she did a heart-wrenching interpretation of the lyrics that must have pleased Barbara Cook. You can probably see the performances on YouTube - I know I found a segment on Zubin Mehta that I had missed years ago.

#17 balletgirl22sk

balletgirl22sk

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

I have always liked Meryl Streep so I enjoyed that segment. Also have been a fan of Diamond- like most of his songs. I would have liked more classical performances for Ma, but was surprised he did so many other things other than just classical.

#18 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,056 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

I did see online a rousing version of "Sweet Caroline," a terrific song. I agree about Ma - true, he went through the classical repertory a long time ago and has been exploring different avenues, but his classical prowess is still central to his prominence. KInd of like Baryshnikov in that way.

#19 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

I agree that Glenn Close is a very different kind of singer than many of the other classically trained voices we heard, but both she and Patty Lupone (can't remember now what she sang, and am too rushed to look it up) gave the best combination of acting and singing that we saw, and that is at the heart of what Cook was getting to in all that masterclass footage they showed. I loved her downright nature in those clips.

Cook: Do you know what this (song) is about
Student: (long, hesitant answer, full of sentiment)
Cook: It's about sex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):