3 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,058 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:54 AM

Ashley Page is honored at the Edinburgh International Festival.

Ashley Page, the outgoing artistic director of Scottish Ballet, has been handed the final Herald Archangel of the Edinburgh festivals 2011, amid intimations that he is to return to work with the Edinburgh International Festival in the future.

The Archangel recognises “consistent excellence” at the Edinburgh festivals. A choreographer and one-time dancer with the Royal Ballet, Page is to leave Scottish Ballet, against his own wishes, before 2012’s festival.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,058 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

William Whitener and Maury Yeston will give a talk about their new Tom Sawyer ballet this week.

Not coincidentally, on October 14, Tom Sawyer: A Ballet in Three Acts makes its world premiere at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. Tony Award-winning composer Maury Yeston, who wrote the score, and KC Ballet Artistic Director William Whitener discuss the new work at the Kansas City Central Library...

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,058 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

Mia Wasikowska compares and contrasts the ballet world with the movie world.

"Dancing itself is so liberating, and you feel fantastic. It's like a drug. Your get really high. But then the industry side of it is so rigorous, and quite oppressive.

"I feel like the dance world was so hardcore in terms of image and body, and physicality, and I know that a lot of people find the film world similar, but I've found it so much more chilled out that I'm like 'Meh! Whatever!' Try experiencing prima ballerina land - it's crazy."

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,058 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

A preview of the fall season in dance by Carolyn Kelemen in The Baltimore Sun.

Just returned from a triumphant engagement at the Bodrum International Dance Festival in Turkey, the Washington Ballet company appears especially vibrant these days, and it is planning a rich array of new and classical works for its hometown fans.

"The Great Gatsby" will be reprised at the Kennedy Center, for example, with live musical accompaniment Nov. 2-6. This is easily the most ambitious production staged by the company's director, Septime Webre, since he arrived in Washington some 12 years ago....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):