This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fracci in San Francisco

Hello,

I recently came across a undated press release/photo of Carla Fracci for an appearance with "La Scala Ballet" in San Francisco. The press release describes this as the company's first appearance in North America. Does anyone have an idea of the year?

Thank you.

BA member Paul Parish filed a report in '87.

he might know if at the time this was the first appearance by Scala to S.F.

as follows:

San Francisco seasons.

Ballet review. New York. v. 15, no. 2, Summer 1987, p. 82-92. ill.

Review of several companies appearing in San Francisco during the 1987 season, including the San Francisco Ballet,

Hello,

I recently came across a undated press release/photo of Carla Fracci for an appearance with "La Scala Ballet" in San Francisco. The press release describes this as the company's first appearance in North America. Does anyone have an idea of the year?

Thank you.

there might be a little confusion - i think the appearances in new york were their first ever in north america, but i don't know if they went anywhere else on that trip. if they didn't then the performances in san francisco might have been their first in san francisco but were definitely not their first in the united states. and it's possible that they were using press photos from the 1981 engagement in new york for publicity in san francisco, i suppose?

Hello,

Thank you.

there might be a little confusion - i think the appearances in new york were their first ever in north america, but i don't know if they went anywhere else on that trip. if they didn't then the performances in san francisco might have been their first in san francisco but were definitely not their first in the united states. and it's possible that they were using press photos from the 1981 engagement in new york for publicity in san francisco, i suppose?

Sorry, I wanted to thank all very much for the responses and the info. As you can tell, I am not very savy about posting. I would try to post the press release/photo if helpful and of any interest. But this feat probably is beyond my limited skills.

Thanks again.

July, 1981, was a busy month for La Scala in NYC. Thank you, Mme. Hermine for including the link to the NY Times review of Giselle on 7/25/81. The previous week, Carla, Rudi Nureyev, and Margot Fonteyn performed Nureyev's magnificent Romeo and Juliet. I flew to New York from Boston to see it, and it was thrilling! I often flew to NYC to see Rudi. I always regretted that I just didnt' have enough $$ to return the following week to see Giselle. Thankfully, I have the DVD of their performance. They were amazing, especially when you consider that they were both in their 40's!

I checked the NY Times reviews regarding Nureyev's NYC R&J's with La Scala. Fonteyn danced Lady Capulet , "coming out of retirement." The Juliets were Fracci, Maria Razzi and Renata Calderini. In 1981, Nureyev was 43; Fonteyn, 62; Fracci, 45.

Tobi Tobias' rather withering review in New York Magazine is here. You may have to scroll to p. 41.

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

Three superstar personalities [Nureyev, Fracci, Fonteyn] can't carry a company; at the ensemble level, La Scala falls apart."