#1 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:56 AM

And here is your Season 13 cast:

David Arquette (Actor)
Ron Artest (6'7" forward for the Los Angeles Lakers)
Chaz Bono (Son of Sonny&Cher)
Elisabetta Canalis (Actress and George Clooney-ex)
Kristin Cavallari (Reality TV "star" and Jay Cutler-ex)
Nancy Grace (Talk show host -- barf!)
Rob Kardashian (Brother of Kim and freeloading layabout)
Carson Kressley (Reality TV star and entertainment personality)
Ricki Lake (Actress/former talk show host)
J.R. Martinez (Actor)
Chynna Phillips (Singer)
Hope Solo (U.S. Women's National Soccer Team goal keeper)

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,211 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

Carson Kressley competed in equestrian when he was younger, and owns and shows horses now. I've always found him graceful, and I'm sure he'll have the posture down.

Always scary when one's stardom is tied to being someone's ex.

#3 balletgirl22sk

balletgirl22sk

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

I won't be watching!

#4 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

I pick one guilty pleasure show per season. This summer it's Project Runway, this fall it will be Dancing with the Stars. Kressley always gives great TV, so I think he will be fun to watch. Hoping that Hope Solo is paired with a certain fiesty Ukrainian, who always does well with female athletes but the fireworks will singe them both!

The rest of the cast looks pretty boring, but hopefully they will surprise me.

#5 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

I'm going to bed so someone else will have to recap the scores for the last three couples:

01 22pts Chynna/Tony
02 21pts Hope/Maks
03 19pts Kristin/Mark
04 18pts David/Kym
05 17pts Carson/Anna
06 16pts Rob/Cheryl
06 16pts Nancy/Tristan
08 15pts Elisabetta/Val
09 14pts Ron/Peta

#6 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

quite late, will expand on this tomorrow...

Carson was appalling, and yet captivating to watch (I laughed aloud throughout at his chuzpah). Rather hoping he sticks around for the comedy. Anna Tribunskaya (sp?) is a good match, the straight "man" to his comedy.

This season it is very obvious which performers have previous "live" performance experience, and which do not (reality stars, etc). Artest was simply vulgar. Hoping he goes home quickly. I like all 3 of the new professionals. I guess they didn't want to pay Editha a high returning pro salary, but I do think she brought in extra male audience with her dental floss costumes. Glad to have Derek Hough back in the fold. Maybe Maxim will win it all this year with Hope Solo?

I think for the first dance, the Viennese Waltz is more difficult for the men than the women competitors, because the men are supposed to lead, while the women can simply follow the partner as he sweeps them around the ballroom. A "bravo" to the orchestra, conductor and singers, who truly perform the widest variety of music imaginable, from rap to classical music to disco to R&B to Country to torch songs. Bravissimo!

The new stage / set looks amazing. Wish I could be there in person for one episode just to experience it.

I've sated my guilty pleasure cravings for the night, will go back to intellectual requirements tomorrow at work, and then return to brain candy for the Tuesday night show.

#7 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

Maybe Maxim will win it all this year with Hope Solo?

Maks may have a contender with Hope.

The new stage / set looks amazing. Wish I could be there in person for one episode just to experience it.

I liked the new set as well, especially the balconies. Although I kept waiting for the camera to cut to Statler and Waldorf from The Muppet Show in one of them!

#8 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

Results - Week One:

"In Jeopardy" -- Ron (a.k.a Metta)/Peta, Rob/Cheryl and Nancy/Tristan

Eliminated -- Ron-Metta/Peta

While I would have loved to have seen Rob eliminated, Ron-Metta and Peta were the worst pair on Monday night. He even looked like he was happy to be voted off. So, this was a sound first elimination.

I have my doubts that Nancy and Tristan were really in the fake Bottom Three. More likely it was Elisabetta and Val who were in the true bottom. We'll find out soon enough!

#9 BocaBallerina

BocaBallerina

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:06 PM

I won't be watching!

I felt the same way but then I ended up watching a few of the couples perform. The show is always entertaining to us dancers because they have stars have no idea how challenging dance is until they get into it. I do, however, admire the work that most of the "Stars" dedicate to the competition. I also can not leave out the excellent work that the professionals do! It will definitely be an entertaining season and I'm looking forward to seeing how each Star improves and all of the guest performers!

#10 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

The Times published an interesting feature about the how the pros have become the main draw on the show:

http://www.nytimes.c...?_r=1&ref=arts#

#11 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

I think for the first dance, the Viennese Waltz is more difficult for the men than the women competitors, because the men are supposed to lead, while the women can simply follow the partner as he sweeps them around the ballroom.

Viennese Waltz is difficult for anyone, male or female. (Actually, it's far too difficult for a beginner with only a few weeks of training, but that's neither here nor there). The man has to be able to lead, but the woman needs to be able to stay in the man's arm and cut the turns with precision, both of which are difficult because of the velocity and the sharpness of the turning involved.

To tell the truth, the ability to lead isn't much of an issue on DWTS. Most of the female pros choreograph around the need for a real lead. Some of Cheryl and Kym's partners have learned to lead, but it's still taken 2-3 months for them really to substantively do much leading at all. To really learn to lead (or follow) you need to try dancing with a number of different partners and the DWTS format doesn't really allow it. It's like learning a foreign language. You can't really learn to speak a foreign language by speaking to one person.

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:24 PM

It's good to be reading you again, sidwich.

#13 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,211 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:45 AM

I generally don't care who the stars are and whether they are true stars, because the interesting thing to me is how they respond to their pros and the dances.

I just finished watching the recording of week 1. I was most impressed with Chynna Phillips' floating quality, that Hope Solo stayed on the balls of her feet and had a lot of action in her knees, and JR Martinez' whole body movement. David Arquette was appealing, and Rob Kardashian cleans up well. Carson Kressley started out looking technically messy -- feet are really hard for almost all of the celebrities without dance training -- but in the second half, he did some nice things with his feet, and he could be trainable. He also had performance quality in spades. Chaz Bono struck me as having very nice rhythm and control, and looked very happy to be dancing, not just performing.

sidwich -- any time you can spare us to explain what's really happening, I know I'd appreciate, and I'm sure many BAers would, too.

#14 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:48 AM

Results - Week 2:

"In Jeopardy" -- David, Kym, Chaz/Lacey and Elisabetta/Val

"Bottom Two" -- David/Kym and Elisabetta/Val

Eliminated -- Elisabetta/Val

No great surprises with this elimination -- this partnership was DOA. There was no chemistry between the two partners and being known as "George Clooney's ex" wasn't exactly an advantage in the competition. It was their time to go.

I'm more intrigued by the fact that David and Kym were in the Bottom Two. (Tom Bergeron specifically referred to a Bottom Two.) I don't know if people just forgot to vote for David this week or because he's not terribly popular.

#15 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

I generally don't care who the stars are and whether they are true stars,

Just as well, because going by the current list of "stars" they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel this season.

The article linked to by miliosr is worth a read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):