This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thank you for posting the news, Mme Hermine. I hope his recovery is a smooth and rapid one.

During one of my last visits with my mother, who was having many problems (mental, emotional, physical), I decided to take her to the Washington Opera--it was Tosca with Licitra. He was terrific and she had a wonderful time and especially enjoyed his singing; the whole afternoon put her in a (rare) good mood. This was not too long before her death. (And thank goodness for Kennedy Center's convenient set-up for someone who could walk a bit but still greatly benefited from having a wheelchair to use at the theater.)

Anyway, I know Licitra's career has had ups and downs, but I just love him because of that performance. Wishing him the very best.

His website now gives an update dated today saying that he remains in the hospital after his surgery, that the operation was successful, that he is in a coma, but that he is in stable condition.

They quote the hospital as saying there were no changes in his condition today. However they also quote his doctor, dott. Sergio Pintaudi, as previously stating that the singer may have had a bleeding inside the brain (cerebral hemorrhage?) immediately before the accident, which could have caused him to lose control of the vehicle.

His website now gives an update dated today saying that he remains in the hospital after his surgery, that the operation was successful, that he is in a coma, but that he is in stable condition.

They quote the hospital as saying there were no changes in his condition today. However they also quote his doctor, dott. Sergio Pintaudi, as previously stating that the singer may have had a bleeding inside the brain (cerebral hemorrhage?) immediately before the accident, which could have caused him to lose control of the vehicle.

Thank you for the update...(I had only thought to check his website earlier today before this was reported.)

It is reported that Salvatore Licitra has passed away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/arts/music/salvatore-licitra-tenor-at-the-met-dies-at-43-after-crash.html?_r=1&hpw

Salvatore Licitra, a tenor with a ringing, powerful voice who rode a sensational surprise Metropolitan Opera debut to dozens of performances with the company, died on Monday in Catania, Sicily, nine days after being severely injured in a motor-scooter accident. He was 43.

A report in Italian:

http://www.cronacalive.it/morto-salvatore-licitra-dopo-coma-per-incidente.html

Oh how sad! I only heard Licitra sing at the Met once, alas, but I still remember how his voice rang out in that big old barn. Shortly after his Met triumph subbing for Pavarotti, my husband and I went to Cafe des Artistes for lunch on a whim, and there he was at the next table being wined and dined by a couple of fervent impresarios hell-bent on roping into some project or other. As theater, it was as impressive as what took place on stage at the Met.

Rest in peace ...