35 replies to this topic

#31 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

She may or may not ever be able to dance full-time again, but she said she was looking for a company with a less strenuous schedule -- like Weese, Korbes, and Orza did when they came to Seattle -- which she also said was something that Martins' "no" allowed her to consider mentally.  Psychologically, it's not that unusual for people to have a fixed and focused goal when overcoming a life- or career-threatening illness or injury, and a return to NYCB maybe have been a single-minded way of getting through the worst.   Being a college student with the kind of fatigue she was suffering is not a recipe for learning well.

She has been dancing locally, and  that's a continued option if a full-time company does not take a risk on her.  She has plenty of time for college and/or re-training.

#32 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

Most people in "regular" jobs (desk jobs) miss little or no work from this disease. They may feel more tired until the doctor finally figures out that it's underactive thyroid and prescribes the meds.  Morgan's experience of losing years of her career is not the norm. 

#33 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

What was not clear to me (maybe a little from the podcast) was why this was such a complicated disease. I, too, have an underactive thyroid (for 30 years) but have simply taken synthetic thyroid medicine (synthroid) and problem solved. I have always been underweight (although I know some people gain some weight) even before I was put on synthroid. My only symptom was the fatigue and feeling like I was sleepwalking.

I truly admire Morgan's determination and perseverance. But you should check out the workout videos she puts on twitter. It is no wonder she is meeting with resistance from ADs with the way she looks now. She should definitely not audition until she drops the weight and gets back into professional classes. To do otherwise be, I'm afraid, would be looking for rejection and masochistic. I do feel it would have been nicer if Peter had met with her instead dashing her hopes in an email. However, my business minded husband said that since Morgan broke her contract, Peter owed her nothing and Morgan should have realized Peter simply might not need her anymore. Anyway, life is going on for her and I truly wish her the very best.

In other interviews she has said it took over a year after being diagnosed for the doctors to find the right dosage. She also said she's already lost 20 pounds.

I think she looks pretty good in the videos other than her weight. We can't tell anything about her stamina because the clips are edited and so far she's only done barre. She's clearly too heavy for a dancer (she's not at "dancing weight") but the raw ability is clearly still there. Also, from what I've read/heard, Martins turned her down without seeing her, so it seems unlikely her current weight was the specific issue. Also, do we know if Morgan actually broke her contract? Don't they come up for renewal every year anyway?

I would love to see Morgan back at NYCB (assuming she was back in shape and had the appropriate stamina, etc.) But time doesn't stand still - the company has moved on; there is a new and different crop of up-and-coming dancers. It would have been nice if Martins had told her no in person, but why have her make the trip to NYC if she was just going to be told no? NYCB is not the exact same company as when she left and having to dance elsewhere may turn out to be a blessing is disguise.

#34 Stage Right

Stage Right

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

I think it is really a tricky disease, and a bit unusual in one so young. Usually with hypothyroidism, the adrenal glands are stressed as well, which contributes to the fatigue issues. She may need to explore what's causing these issues, to fully resolve the problems. Could be heredity or something else.

#35 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

NYTimes article about Morgan, including a statement from Martins about not taking her back:

http://www.nytimes.c...eturn.html?_r=0

#36 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:38 AM

I think it is really a tricky disease, and a bit unusual in one so young. Usually with hypothyroidism, the adrenal glands are stressed as well, which contributes to the fatigue issues. She may need to explore what's causing these issues, to fully resolve the problems. Could be heredity or something else.

Yes, this disease has a significant hereditary element.  You may be aware that K. Morgan is adopted.  She has spoken about it publicly.  As a result, she may have been completely unaware of any family background regarding this disease or any other disease.  Presumably, if she and her doctors had such information, they might have diagnosed her more quickly.  Moreover, if it was known from the outset that there was a strong chance that she would get this disease at such a young age based on heredity, her parents might have tried to steer her away from professional ballet as a career.  Very unfortunate circumstances.  She seems like a very sweet young lady who has had to deal with some unfortunate problems. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):