• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

Just watched the new Don Quichot dvd from the Dutch National Ballet that I purchased from Amazon. It is a real treat. So charming. The Amazon reviews made me a little hesitant b/c some reviews said there was blurring during the dancing, but I think that must be only on the BluRay version (or maybe the company cleared up the problem). I got the regular dvd (not blu ray) and had no problems viewing it on my mac without any blurring. The production is so charming, and Anna Tsygankova is a great Kitri. Matthew Golding is a really good Basilio too, and he looks sort of like Brad Pitt!

Tsygankova stays in place during her 32 fouettes! The story is also much more clear than on other Don Quixote versions I have seen in the past. You understand what is going on at all times. I think anyone who likes the Don Quixote ballet would enjoy this new Dutch National Ballet version. I liked Tsygankova in the DNB's Giselle release too.

#2 TenduTV

TenduTV

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that this is available to buy and rent on iTunes in the US and Canada and Amazon Instant Video as well :). It will soon be released on iTunes in the UK. The HD version on iTunes is clean of any of the blurring issues that may have impacted the Bluray.

The easiest way to find it on iTunes would be to search for "Don Quichot" or TenduTV.

Marc

#3 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:02 AM

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that this is available to buy and rent on iTunes in the US and Canada and Amazon Instant Video as well :). It will soon be released on iTunes in the UK. The HD version on iTunes is clean of any of the blurring issues that may have impacted the Bluray.

The easiest way to find it on iTunes would be to search for "Don Quichot" or TenduTV.

Marc

Tendu, I buy audio music on iTunes, but I have never bought videos. I assume that means you just own a copy that is on your computer when you do that. Does the picture remain small like a YouTube video, or is it full screen just like a dvd (with multiple viewing sizes)? I am still old school. I like having the physical product, but I am slowly coming into the 21st century!!!!

#4 TenduTV

TenduTV

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Tendu, I buy audio music on iTunes, but I have never bought videos. I assume that means you just own a copy that is on your computer when you do that. Does the picture remain small like a YouTube video, or is it full screen just like a dvd (with multiple viewing sizes)? I am still old school. I like having the physical product, but I am slowly coming into the 21st century!!!!

Bart,

Thanks for asking!

iTunes downloads are Full screen and with 5.1 audio. When you buy the HD version, you actually get two copies - the HD version and the SD. The HD version looks great on your computer, iPad and TV (you can stream iTunes directly to the TV via an AppleTV device), while the SD will sync to your iPhone, iPod touch, etc. Also, iTunes has very strict quality control, so the video is much better than you might expect to see.

So, here's a general pro versus con of iTunes download vs. DVD:

Video Quality: DVD < iTunes HD Download < Bluray
Price: iTunes HD Download <= DVD < Bluray
Audio: If the DVD/BD has 5.1 audio, then the download has it.
Rental: You can rent via iTunes/Amazon/CinemaNow etc, so you can watch for yourself and determine whether or not you like it enough to buy.
One purchase, multiple devices: Digital yes (you can connect up to five devices to 1 iTunes account at a time), physical - only if you carry it with you
Chapter breaks: the DVD and iTunes downloads have all of the same chapter breaks. All 52 of them, in the case of Don Q :)

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Marc

#5 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:29 AM

I will have to try it soon. I got over not having a physical product with audio recordings, but video is still weird for me. I am still hung up on having something on my shelf to take down. But I know I need to get over that, since this is the way of the world! LOL Thanks for the info!

#6 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm clueless too...Where is the download stored? Is it on my computer's hard-drive? Or an iTunes server somewhere? Or in "the cloud"? Is my 'account' with all the music/films/novels etc.etc.etc. that I might want to view/own stored somewhere (electronically or not) that I then log-into to view whenever, wherever? The reason I've never bought an iPod is because no clerk could ever tell me what size I needed for hour-long classical ballets/symphonies etc. rather than a few 4-minute songs or 20minute albums. Now I have the same questions concerning video since I know how much HD eats up memory. (Apologies if any tech terms I used are ludicrous, as I said, I'm not very proficient in its use yet.)

#7 TenduTV

TenduTV

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

You get an A+ for your use of tech terms, and I'm glad to be able to help answer these questions.

When you download, a copy is downloaded to whichever device you initially download the copy to. Most of the time, that will be your computer, but a fairly decent percentage of time that might also be your iPod/iPad/etc. Some services don't download - they only stream.

Using Don Quichot as an example:

If you purchase the HD (High Definition) version, you get an HD and a SD (Standard Definition) version. If you purchase the SD version, you just get the SD version. The HD version is about 4.5 GB, the SD version is around 1.5 GB.

If you sync to an iPod, it will copy the SD version. If you sync to an iPad, it will copy the HD version. If you like, you can also plug your iPad/iPod into a television using a digital AV adapter & HDMI cable, or stream off or directly to your computer via AppleTV.

iTunes Movies/TV shows, etc are not stored in a cloud (like music can now be).

To answer your classical ballet/symphony question: A music CD holds up to 700MB/80 minutes, although most albums require far less. If you import into the Apple Lossless file type, it can cut the file size in roughly half. I don't recommend importing CDs using the lossy AAC file type, as you'll lose some critical range in the music, which may result in you throwing the device against a wall.

I can get a bit jargony as well, so if I've been unclear at all, just let me know, and I'll break it down a little further.

#8 EvilNinjaX

EvilNinjaX

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

I bought the DVD and there was definitley some mastering issues as there's noticeable smearing. Note that I'm watchiing on a 73" TV with an Oppo Bluray player, so imperfections are perhaps more noticeable to me than otherwise. I bought the DVD with the intention of double-dipping the BluRay if the DVD was good. Obviously, I never bought the Blu and I'll likely never watch this DVD again. This also makes me very wary of any other purchases in the future.

-goro-

#9 TenduTV

TenduTV

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

I can't actually speak for the DVD, as we had nothing to do with it, but I'm hoping you might be able to satisfy some curiosities I have. For starters, what is the refresh rate on the TV?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):