This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballerina Among the Firefighters

The Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle, the mega-mall to be specific, has an installation of large photographs of firefighters and first responders commemorating 9/11 on the main floor. Surprisingly, there was Jenny Ringer, poised en pointe, among a group of firefighters! I'm not sure what the connection is, but she never looked more beautiful. I hope to see every one of her performances this season if I can. She has a special quality of womanliness which is unique in the company, which has its share of girls, soubrettes, tomboys and hoydens. Jenny has a special warmth, sensitivity, spirituality which is no longer fashionable, I'm afraid. She has the qualities of Margot Fonteyn, of an earlier era.

She has a special quality of womanliness which is unique in the company, which has its share of girls, soubrettes, tomboys and hoydens. Jenny has a special warmth, sensitivity, spirituality which is no longer fashionable, I'm afraid. She has the qualities of Margot Fonteyn, of an earlier era.

What's a hoyden, if I may ask?

Hi, justafan. Allow me to introduce you to Dictionary.com. A useful tool and always just a mouseclick or two away!

Thanks, Eileen, for the post.

According to Webster's New College Dictionary which I keep near my desk, a hoyden is a boisterous or high-spirited girl. Thank you Helene and Carbro, for your good words.