Eileen

Ballerina Among the Firefighters

8 posts in this topic

The Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle, the mega-mall to be specific, has an installation of large photographs of firefighters and first responders commemorating 9/11 on the main floor. Surprisingly, there was Jenny Ringer, poised en pointe, among a group of firefighters! I'm not sure what the connection is, but she never looked more beautiful. I hope to see every one of her performances this season if I can. She has a special quality of womanliness which is unique in the company, which has its share of girls, soubrettes, tomboys and hoydens. Jenny has a special warmth, sensitivity, spirituality which is no longer fashionable, I'm afraid. She has the qualities of Margot Fonteyn, of an earlier era.

Jenny has a special warmth, sensitivity, spirituality which is no longer fashionable, I'm afraid. She has the qualities of Margot Fonteyn, of an earlier era.

Too true.

She has a special quality of womanliness which is unique in the company, which has its share of girls, soubrettes, tomboys and hoydens. Jenny has a special warmth, sensitivity, spirituality which is no longer fashionable, I'm afraid. She has the qualities of Margot Fonteyn, of an earlier era.

What's a hoyden, if I may ask?

Hi, justafan. Allow me to introduce you to Dictionary.com. A useful tool and always just a mouseclick or two away!

Thanks, Eileen, for the post.

Hi, justafan. Allow me to introduce you to Dictionary.com. A useful tool and always just a mouseclick or two away!

Thanks, Eileen, for the post.

According to Webster's New College Dictionary which I keep near my desk, a hoyden is a boisterous or high-spirited girl. Thank you Helene and Carbro, for your good words.

Jenny and her firefighter corps de ballet have been moved upstairs to the second floor for those who are looking.